Can't upgrade working copy to SVN 1.8

Oxygen general issues.
gpm2a

Can't upgrade working copy to SVN 1.8

Post by gpm2a »

I recently upgraded to Oxygen 16.1 and find that the SVN client now requires that I upgrade my working copies to 1.8 (from 1.6 currently). The SVN client prompts me to do this when I try to open a working copy, but when I click "Yes" to do so, I get this error message:

Operation failed: svn: E200030: java.io.IOException: Operation not supported

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg
florin

Re: Can't upgrade working copy to SVN 1.8

Post by florin »

Hello,

First of all, we are sorry for this inconvenience.

The error code you provided indicates that there is an internal error in the internal database engine used by an SVN 1.8 working copy (the error code is described as "SQLite error"). I think there could be multiple sources for this issue:
  1. make sure there are no working copy items in use, like files being locked by other applications;
  2. if you still have an SVN 1.6 compatible client, check if it can still read the working copy and perform a cleanup. Also, solve any conflicts and make sure there are no items with "special" states, like obstructed, and commit all your changes to be sure you don't lose your work. After, try to upgrade again.
  3. another cause could be the one described in this topic: Can't upgrade Subversion working copy to 1.7

SVN 1.7 and SVN 1.8 use new working copy format, where all administrative information is stored in an SQLite database, that resides in a single wc.db file. In order to work with this database and to avoid its corruption due to concurrent access, this file needs to be locked on the filesystem level (write lock has to be obtained). Some network filesystems may not support file locking, or the Java Virtual Machine may not be able to call appropriate lock method. In this case, the database file cannot be opened properly and Syncro SVN Client will refuse to work with such a working copy. A possible workaround could be to install the native SVN command-line client and to use it to upgrade the working copy. If it does not work also, then this is a general SVN issue (not Java-related).
    Anyway, it is not recommended to use working copies over network shares because this can trigger different issues, including performance-related ones.
Best regards,
Florin Avram
----------------------
Syncro SVN Client Team
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor
gpm2a

Post by gpm2a »

Thanks for the explanation. Following your advice, I find that I have no problem checking out a working copy in SVN 1.8 format on my local hard disk and then making changes, committing, etc.
florin

Post by florin »

Hi,

Having local working copies is the best thing to do. You will have no issues like the one you reported and also there will not be performance issues generated by the connection between you and a remote working copy.
Florin Avram
<oXygen/> XML Editor