Filenames too long in the Eclipse plugin

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
mark_whisler

Filenames too long in the Eclipse plugin

Post by mark_whisler »

Oxygen 16 plugin for Eclipse 16.0.0.
Ixiasoft DITA CMS 3.4

I'm trying to create a WinZip self extractor for this plugin and can't include the contents of \frameworks\docbook\xsl\com.oxygen.webhelp\oxygen-webhelp\resources\skins\mobile\jquery.mobile-1.4.0 because WinZip says the filename is too long.

We don't use docbook, so I'm just removing the files before I create the self-extractor, but I thought I'd ask, is this a known issue?
adrian

Re: Filenames too long in the Eclipse plugin

Post by adrian »

Hi,

This can happen if one of the file/folder paths exceeds 250 characters. This is a limitation of Windows, but it can usually be avoided by changing the working directory and using file paths relative to that directory instead of using absolute paths (both absolute and relative paths have the same limit).

AFAIK, 7-zip does not complain about file path limits, so you could use that as a workaround.
Or, if you don't use Docbook or the Docbook to WebHelp transformation, you can simply skip the folder 'com.oxygen.webhelp'.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
mark_whisler

Post by mark_whisler »

Thanks for the prompt reply. It appears that the issue is a WinZip shortcoming. Getting 7zip is a solution we're looking into, however, maybe you could pass this issue along and suggest they use shorter file names? :D
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Actually, some effort has already been put into shortening these paths. This type of problem occurred more frequently in the past. Note that the path you mentioned is 100 characters long starting from the Oxygen plugin folder, so it's still a long way from 250. I'll submit another request to have another look at the folder structure and try to shorten the paths even more.

Meanwhile, you can shorten the name of the Oxygen plugin folder (the one placed in 'dropins') if that makes a difference (e.g oxy16).

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com