Large File Viewer ignores encoding settings

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
joerg.hambuch

Large File Viewer ignores encoding settings

Post by joerg.hambuch »

Hi,

I try to open a plain text file (suffix .txt) with the Large File Viewer. I set the encoding for Non-XML files to UTF8 according to http://oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-editor/topi ... oding.html. When I start the Large File Viewer from inside oXygen Author, it respects the encoding settings. When I start it stand-alone, it obviously opens the file with another encoding. All Umlauts are displayed as different characters, e.g. the ü is shown as √º.

Best regards,
Jörg
adrian

Re: Large File Viewer ignores encoding settings

Post by adrian »

Hello,

This happens because all Oxygen tools (Large File Viewer, SVN Client, etc) have separate settings when launched independently.
Unfortunately the standalone Large File Viewer does not provide access to the Preferences dialog, so you can't change the encoding settings from the GUI.
You'll have to manually edit the Large File Viewer preferences file.
Navigate to the Oxygen preferences folder. Depending on the platform the preferences folder for Oxygen XML Editor is located as follows:
- Windows XP - <user-home-folder>\Application Data\com.oxygenxml
- Windows Vista/7/8 - <user-home-folder>\AppData\Roaming\com.oxygenxml
- Mac OS X - <user-home-folder>/Library/Preferences/com.oxygenxml
- Linux - <user-home-folder>/.com.oxygenxml
If you have Oxygen XML Author, the name of the folder has an additional suffix, '.author':
com.oxygenxml.author

In Windows if you have trouble locating the AppData/Application Data folder(it is hidden), open Windows Explorer, type in the Address bar %APPDATA% and press Enter.

Look in the Oxygen preferences folder for the file oxyOptionsLargeFileViewer16.0.xml (options file for Large File Viewer of v16.0). Make sure that the standalone Large File Viewer tool is closed and edit this file in Oxygen. Add a new entry at the beginning inside the serializableOrderedMap element :

Code: Select all

<entry>
<String>editor.non.xml.file.encoding.v5.1</String>
<String>UTF8</String>
</entry>
Replace UTF8 with your encoding.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
joerg.hambuch

Re: Large File Viewer ignores encoding settings

Post by joerg.hambuch »

Hi Adrian,

it works. Thanks for your great support!

Best regards,
Jörg