A network folder won't show in the project files

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Frank Ralf

A network folder won't show in the project files

Post by Frank Ralf »

I still have the problem that sometimes a network folder won't show in the project files when starting oXygen an re-opening a project (Windows 7 Pro). Even re-starting oXygen doesn't solve the problem.

The issue is rather annoying because all opened project files from the network folder are closed when I want to work on the project so I have to add the folder and re-open the files again. I also have to delete the folder first, otherwise oXygen shows a warning the the folder was already added.

The network drives are shown as connected in Windows explorer but not in oXygen's file chooser.

Frank

PS:
Is there an easy way to post screenshots in this forum?
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com
adrian

Re: A network folder won't show in the project files

Post by adrian »

Hi,

What version of Oxygen are you using?
Is this is a network share or a mapped network drive that we're talking about?
The network share has a UNC path like this: \\server\share
The mapped network drive has a drive letter: Z:

If it's a network drive, Oxygen treats it like any other local drive, so it should be handled completely transparent as long as Windows can keep the drive mounted and accessible.

Have you tried accessing the network drive/share in Windows Explorer prior to trying to access it in Oxygen? Do you get an authentication dialog in Windows Explorer when you try to access it?

Regards,
Adrian

PS:
I've split this post from the topic you originally posted in. That topic was 10 years old and was discussing a slightly different problem in the Java file chooser (File > Open) dialog: Open network files
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Frank Ralf

Post by Frank Ralf »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using oXygen 15.2 (64 bit version) on Windows 7 Professional (64 bit). It's a mapped network drive and it's automatically mounted in Windows and reachable via Windows Explorer.

I'll have another look to provide more details and will report back.

Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com
Frank Ralf

Post by Frank Ralf »

This is rather strange. The network folder only doesn't show when I run oXygen with administrator user rights (which I need because I'm working on an OT plugin in oXygen's install directory).

When I start oXygen with normal user rights everything is ok and the network folder shows in the project. So it looks like one of those Windows user rights problems.

Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

That's normal. In Windows when you run an application with admin rights, it's executed in a different environment which does not inherit the authentications from the regular one. This means any network resources that are already authenticated on your user account are NOT readily available within the application executed in the admin environment.
e.g. try to run with admin rights an executable application from the network share/drive. You are prompted to re-authenticate for that very same network share/drive.

A better solution would be to avoid the need to run oXygen with admin rights. So, you should install (or even copy) Oxygen to a location where you have write access to its install directory without the need of admin rights. Your user home directory (C:\Users\<username>) can usually accommodate this.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Frank Ralf

Post by Frank Ralf »

Many thanks for the thorough explanation and the hint. I will try as suggested :-)

Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com