Checking a DITA topic into SharePoint

Oxygen general issues.
Rodrik

Checking a DITA topic into SharePoint

Post by Rodrik »

I'm currently evaluating Oxygen Author 15.2 and am interested in its integration with SharePoint.

I've created a simple DITA map with a few topics stored in a SharePoint 2013 Library that has both versioning and required checkout configured. When I try to close a topic in XML Author I receive the following message:

Problem while trying to unlock:

412 Precondition Failed for: https://sharepoint...

If I right-click on the the topic in the DITA Maps Manager and select SharePoint from the menu, Check out, Check in... and Discard check out are all disabled.

I'd appreciate your help.

Rodrik Wade
alin
Site Admin

Re: Checking a DITA topic into SharePoint

Post by alin »

Hello Rodrik,

<oXygen/> automatically tries to lock an WebDAV document on open, respectively, unlock it on close.
Since you configured the SharePoint server to require checkout of files, <oXygen/> will no longer be able to lock/unlock files.
When you close the document, <oXygen/> will try to unlock it, but the operation will fail because the server rejects it.
To disable <oXygen/> trying to automatically lock/unlock documents and to avoid this message you need to go to Options -> Preferences -> Network Connection Settings / HTTP(S)/WebDAV and deselect the "Lock WebDAV files on open" option.

Regarding the disabled actions issue, can you please verify if the selected topic is not being checked out by another user?
If this is the case, you can find out which user has the topic checked out from the tooltip displayed on it.
If this is not the case, please write us on our support email address, support AT oxygenxml DOT com, providing more details about the operations that you performed, in order to help us identify the problem.

Regards,
Alin
Alin Balasa
Software Developer
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Rodrik

Post by Rodrik »

Thank you for your reply.

If I understand you correctly, I essentially have two choices;

1. Enable SharePoint's document checkout and disable Oxygen's Lock WebDAV files on open option. In this case a user will have to manually check in and check out each file using the Oxygen Author SharePoint > Checkout function.
2. Disable SharePoint's checkout and enable Oxygen's Lock WebDAV files on open option. In this case Oxygen effectively handles the check in/check out process.

Is this a correct?

Thanks,

Rodrik
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Note that we're talking about the SharePoint option that requires checkout, not simply enabling SharePoint document checkout. I believe by default SharePoint already has document checkout enabled, but it is not required. So, by default you should have available a mixed behavior of check in/check out and locking.

1. That's correct for required checkout.
2. Oxygen will handle the automatic locking/unlocking process, which is different from the check in/check out process. You should still be able to manually use check in and check out.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com