ID attribute for elements

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
seagrove

ID attribute for elements

Post by seagrove »

I use Oxygen as a DITA/XML editor in a tech writing environment. We are automating the conversion of RoboHelp files to DITA via a script. I've noticed that Oxygen automatically assigns certain elements a random ID attribute, such as "choicetable_gtr_fnp_pm" -- this does not happen to all elements, and I'm not sure what the criteria is for assigning these.

More importantly, I'm not exactly sure why Oxygen assigns IDs to certain elements -- I'm guessing so that the element can be used in an xref? Is there any other reason?

I ask so that we know whether we should do the same when running our automatic conversion to DITA.

Thanks!
Radu

Re: ID attribute for elements

Post by Radu »

Hi Jim,
I've noticed that Oxygen automatically assigns certain elements a random ID attribute, such as "choicetable_gtr_fnp_pm" -- this does not happen to all elements, and I'm not sure what the criteria is for assigning these.
More importantly, I'm not exactly sure why Oxygen assigns IDs to certain elements -- I'm guessing so that the element can be used in an xref? Is there any other reason?
Yes, basically if elements have IDs they are easier to reuse using conrefs and to link to without the user needing to define IDs on them. This is controlled by a setting. If you open a DITA topic in Oxygen in the Author mode, in the DITA main menu you will have an entry called ID Options....
I ask so that we know whether we should do the same when running our automatic conversion to DITA.
I don't think it's necessary. Users can also define IDs when they need to link to certain elements.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com