HTML Schema Documentation crashes IE

Oxygen general issues.
DirkDubois

HTML Schema Documentation crashes IE

Post by DirkDubois »

Hello,

I have been using Oxygen 12.2, build 2011062910 to generate schema documentation for my XSDs. I am generating it as HTML in a single file using the built in style sheet. I have encountered an issue where the documentation works perfectly under Chrome and Firefox, but crashes under IE10. When I open the page I am prompted by IE to allow scripting and activeX. When I press allow IE crashes completely due to an error in the jscript9.dll. Is there any changes I can make to allow this documentation to work under internet explorer? Thank you for all your help.

Sincerely,
Dirk Dubois
XML Programmer, Technical Writing
Matrox Imaging
adrian

Re: HTML Schema Documentation crashes IE

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Unfortunately we cannot begin to guess what's causing this crash in IE10, so we don't know how it can be avoided. It is most likely a bug in IE itself.

Could you please try to generate the same schema documentation with the latest version of Oxygen available on our website and check if IE still crashes with it?
http://www.oxygenxml.com/download_oxygenxml_editor.html
You can request a free 30 day trial license for the latest version from the download page.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
DirkDubois

Post by DirkDubois »

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for the quick response and I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I have installed the latest oxygen and generated the schema documentation. Sadly, I experienced the same error and IE10 crashed. I have similar problems when loading the file in IE8 under XP. I am generating the documentation in a single file format, where a single html file is generated for the entire schema.

It would appear to be a javascript issue that is causing the crash. Would it be possible to determine what portion of the javascript is compatible so I can safely disable it in the XSLT for the schema documentation? I would be quite happy with a static page that correctly renders as a trade off for no collapsing functionality.

Thank you for all your help.
Matrox Imaging
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello,

You can edit the resulting HTML file, remove either parts or the entire Javascript from it (there should be one script element at the beginning of the document) and try to load it afterwards. Once you identify the culprit you can edit {INSTALLATION_DIRECTORY}/frameworks/schema_documentation/xsl/xsdDocHtml.xsl and remove the bad Javascript. You can use the modified xsdDocHtml.xsl by using the custom format option in the XML Schema documentation dialog. Click the Options button, select the path to xsdDocHtml.xsl and also make sure you check the Copy additional resources to output folder button.

If it's not confidential data, you can also send us the HTML output file on our support email address (support[at]oxygenxml.com) so that we can also try and identify the problem.

Best regards,
Alex
DirkDubois

Post by DirkDubois »

After running a DEBUG on internet explorer using Visual Studio, I tracked the problem to the Jscript9.dll, which is part of Java. By disabling the Java plugin for Internet Explorer I was able to solve the problem. I am still unsure as to what elements in the schema documentations html file use Java, but when the html file is sufficiently long it crashes the browser. Thank you for all your help.
Matrox Imaging
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

The generated schema documentation does not use Java, only Javascript. Java and Javascript are two different things.

You seem to have disabled Javascript in Internet Explorer (IE names this option Active scripting). That would explain why IE it's no longer crashing in Jscript9.dll (the Javascript implementation from IE9).

Note that the interactive elements (filtering, expanding/collapsing sections) from the generated schema documentation rely on Javascript, so these elements will no longer work with Javascript disabled.
There are also a lot of web sites that rely on Javascript, so completely disabling it may not be a good solution in the long term.

The best solution would be to remove the Javascript code from the stylesheet, like Alex recommended.
Alternatively, a quick and dirty way to fix this for one generated documentation file would be to open the generated HTML documentation file and remove the entire Javascript section that starts with
<script type="text/javascript"> and ends with </script>
This will of course lead to a complete loss of interactivity for that documentation, but it will no longer contain any Javascript code to trigger the IE crash.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
DirkDubois

Post by DirkDubois »

Hello Adrian,

In fact I had tried commenting out the script header in the html file itself and I still experienced the crashing behavior.

In order to avoid the crashing I disabled the Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper, through the IE add-ons manager and this resolved the loading problem. Collapsing and other selecting features work without issue. It could have been a problem specific to my IE setup.

Thanks,
Dirk
Matrox Imaging