Can I force a really dumb Author mode?

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
sderrick

Can I force a really dumb Author mode?

Post by sderrick »

We have a large selection of books in XML, TEI to be exact.

Some of the books are translated versions, and the translations are updated periodically. The structure never changes but the text does.

In Author mode there are indications of underlying tags and special unicode characters. There is also formatting applied and not applied depending on the underlying tags. Such as a line break inserted if the editor encounters a <s> tag, making it look like a paragraph break.

There is also a large context menu available.

Can I dumb down the Author mode to not show certain indications of underlying tags, like <div>, etc.. Also restrict the context menu to only a few items?

The people doing the translations are use to Word and are very confused by all this "xml" ish display and stuff.

thanks,

Scott
alex_jitianu

Re: Can I force a really dumb Author mode?

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello,

The author page is highly customizable. For each type of document there is a configuration also known as framework or document type. You can edit this configuration by going into Options->Preferences..., page Document Type Associations. Select and edit the configuration for your documents, in your case the TEI (probably TEI P5).

All the formatting and layout in the Author is done through CSS rules. If you go on tab Author/CSS you will see the location of the default CSS used for TEI. You can hide or change the way elements are presented by defining your own rules or changing the default ones: CSS rules customization. An interesting CSS property that you can use is -oxy-display-tags:none; which will not show the tag labels for the element it applies to.

The context menu can be customized from the Author/Contextual menu tab where you can choose which author actions to add in it. If you want to customize the contextual menu even more and remove not only author actions but also Oxygen built-in actions (Refactoring, Fold) then you can implement an Workspace Access plugin. A plugin is a JAVA implementation through which you can further customize not only the author mode but the whole Oxygen. Using the Java API you can remove anything from the menu:
WSAuthorEditorPageBase.addPopUpMenuCustomizer(). There is a sample Workspace Access plugin that adds such a customizer available at: http://oxygenxml.com/oxygen_sdk.html#Developer_Plugins

More information about customizing the author mode is available in Author Developer Guide. In case you decide that you also need a plugin you might find helpful the Plugin developer guide.

Best regards,
Alex
sderrick

Re: Can I force a really dumb Author mode?

Post by sderrick »

Alex,

thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for!

Scott