DITA EPUB transformation not creating images

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
burbles

DITA EPUB transformation not creating images

Post by burbles »

I'm using oXygen Author 15.0 under Windows XP SP3 and transforming a valid ditamap with topics using the standard DITA Map EPUB scenario. I haven't changed any parameters. In several topics I have linked to SVG files using <object>, such as <object data="images/crossref.svg" type="image/svg+xml">. When I transform to EPUB there is an images folder but none of the SVG fiels is copied to it. I've run both the DITA Map WebHelp and WebHelp Mobile scenarios and they do copy all SVG files referenced with <object> to an images folder. What settings do I need to make for the EPUB?
sorin_ristache

Re: DITA EPUB transformation not creating images

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

Only the images included in the topics with the image element are considered images and thus copied in the EPUB images directory. You should add your SVG image with an element like:

Code: Select all

<image href="images/crossref.svg"/>
The object element should be used for: "animated images, applets, plug-ins, ActiveX controls, video clips, and other multimedia objects", so it is not for static images.

Regards,
Sorin
burbles

Post by burbles »

The WebHelp and WebHelp Mobile transformations treat SVG <object> elements as images, and correctly copy those to an "images" folder. EPUB transformations should be no different in this behavior. I'll post a request for this feature.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

The EPUB transformation is added in DITA-OT by the net.sourceforge.dita4publishers.epub plugin. I think the request would be handled and responded faster if you add it to the dita4publishers project because that is the place where this DITA-OT plugin is maintained.

Regards,
Sorin
akuh

Post by akuh »

You might be interested by the blog post available at this URL:

http://www.scriptorium.com/2013/06/the- ... -for-svgs/

Point 6 of the blog post states:
"
If you’re creating EPUBs, don’t count on being able to use SVGs; use a bitmap image format (such as PNG). The EPUB 3.0 standard calls for SVG support, but that spec is useless until e-readers uniformly support SVG. Support in readers for EPUB 2.0 is decidedly spotty.
"

Regards.