Help window reformats to never show complete line

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Roger

Help window reformats to never show complete line

Post by Roger »

No matter what size I set the help window to, the text reformats to be wider than the window. I have to scroll left and right to read each line. This is frustrating to say the least.

I use Windows 2k and have my desktop>properties>settings> advanced>display>fontsize set to small fonts. This sometimes plays havoc with Swing.

Thanks,

Roger
iulian_velea

Post by iulian_velea »

Hi Roger,

Thank you for contacting us. We have tested the Help section but did not encountered your problem. Maybe you can tell us more about this situation, details like: font settings, display settings, what Java version are you currently using (for this you can look at the informations from System properties tab in the Oxygen About dialog), Oxygen version etc.

Best Regards,
Iulian.
Roger

Post by Roger »

It looks like the minimum size the main help content area will wrap lines to is about 80% of my screen width. If I set the window any smaller than that in width, the main content area does not reformat the text to fit in the window so I have to scroll left and right to read a full line of text.

XML Editor 5.1 - the build dropped for Saxon 8.3
I'm using Java 1.5.0_01-b10
The screen size is 1280x1024 The Windows display font size is "small fonts": Normal size (96 dpi)
On Windows 2000 SP 4

Would you like a screen print?

Roger
iulian_velea

Post by iulian_velea »

We reproduced the problem and, unfortunatelly, it seems that the standard Java Help component that interprets the html help pages does the line wrapping depending on the widest object contained in the page. For example the section Editing Documents/Using Check Spelling contains a small code section that influences the line wrapping on the whole page.

We will try to rewrite a part of the Help so that this situation will be avoided, but even so if a page contains a big picture for example that cannot be changed the wrapping will depend on the size of this picture, so the scroll problem will appear again.
You can use instead the online help located at http://www.oxygenxml.com/documentation.html in html (the browser does a better job than Java Help) or pdf format.

Regards,
Iulian.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks very much. I'll use the browser based help.

Roger