"Open in terminal" from project view

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
martindholmes

"Open in terminal" from project view

Post by martindholmes »

Anyone used to using the Nautilus file manager in Linux has probably come to appreciate the ability to right-click on a folder and choose "Open in terminal" to get a terminal instance set to the target directory. This would be really handy to have in the context menu of the Project view in Oxygen. I don't think it would be too hard to implement, would it?

Cheers,
Martin
adrian

Re: "Open in terminal" from project view

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have logged this to our issue tracking tool and it will be analyzed and if found appropriate, it will be implemented in a future version of Oxygen.

The problem with Linux is that it comes in various flavors and configurations, so "Open in terminal" can mean launching a different application (gnome-terminal, konsole, xterm, etc) depending on these.
I know that Ubuntu makes things a bit easier by providing 'x-terminal-emulator' which is mapped to the default terminal application. However I'm not sure about other Linux distributions.

It would be lot simpler and independent from the Linux flavor/config to open the default file manager window (e.g. Nautilus) with the folder (xdg-open /path/to/folder). Then you could use the "Open in terminal" action from there. Would you consider this alternative acceptable?

Later Edit:
I just realized that you can already open the default file manager window with the action "Show in Explorer". The name of the action is inappropriate for Linux, but it does the job.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com