New licence prices are scary

Oxygen general issues.
martindholmes

New licence prices are scary

Post by martindholmes »

Hi there,

For several months, we've been trying to organize enough interested parties to purchase a site licence for our university. We're just getting to the point where people are beginning to see the sense and value of this, and now I look at your purchasing page and discover that the cost is going to go from $3840 to $10,000 next month. This is frankly ridiculous, and we'll never be able to afford it. Meanwhile, the $64 academic licence is apparently going up to $119.

Why are you doing this? Do you realize what the effect is going to be? With this increase, we aren't even going to be able to keep upgrading the licences we have. We're going to have to remove Oxygen from lots of our lab machines and find other alternatives for teaching XML encoding.

Cheers,
Martin
george
Site Admin

Re: New licence prices are scary

Post by george »

Dear Martin,

The prices for support and maintenance renewals stay the same, so there should be no issue to maintain your current licenses updated
http://www.oxygenxml.com/buy.html#_smp
We will be happy to keep the current price for the Academic Site license if you decide to purchase that. As I mentioned above, you will not have any additional cost going further as the support and maintenance pack stays at the same price.

The price of new academic licenses was fixed for the last 10 years although the product evolved a lot during these 10 years and that was reflected in the price of the other license types but not on the Academic edition - probably we should have applied a gradual increase during time. We will consider also adding an Academic subscription option as a lower cost alternative to a permanent license, this will probably match better the student usage.

I hope this helps,
George
George Cristian Bina