Read-only content?

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
dcdenison

Read-only content?

Post by dcdenison »

When I count words on one of my documents (DocBook5) in Author, I get "regular content" count, and then a "read-only content:" which is 4 words and 4 spaces.

I'm on a Mac. I changed permissions on the file so that everything was "read + write."

Any ideas why I'm getting this?

thanks!

DC
sorin_ristache

Re: Read-only content?

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

It is not clear what you try to do. Do you want to count the words from the Docbook documents that are read-write in some directory? Do you get different word counts for the same file in two cases: when the file is read-write and when the file is read-only? Please can you give us an example of file content, the count that you get for that file and the result that you expect?

Regards,
Sorin
dcdenison

Post by dcdenison »

Hi Sorin, it's a single DocBook file. I'm interested in getting a word count. I have similar files and they just give me a simple word count. But one file gives me two word counts: regular content and read-only content.

I wasn't aware that I had *any* read-only content. And since it's just 4 words and 4 spaces, I have a feeling there's just a fragment somewhere.

I didn't want it to screw up any transformations, so I thought I should track down the "read-only content" and get rid of it.

Does that make sense?

DC
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

The read-only content reported by the action Count Words is the content that cannot be edited directly in the current editor panel in Oxygen because it comes from other files, for example files included by an entity reference in Docbook 4 or by an XInclude reference. By running this Count Words action in Author mode you do not modify the document, so it cannot screw up any transformation. It is just a way of scanning the document and getting a report on the total count of words.

Regards,
Sorin
dcdenison

Post by dcdenison »

thanks sorin. I didn't think the running of count words would affect a transformation, but I was wondering why that one file has four words, just four characters, of "read only" content, where all my other files have none.

It's DocBook 5, so maybe it's an Xinclude reference.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

If you cannot figure it out you can send us the file and we will look at it to see if the reported number of read-only words/characters is correct.

Regards,
Sorin
dcdenison

Post by dcdenison »

Thanks Sorin. Just sent it.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

The Count Words action finds the " entity reference 4 times in your XML document and counts them as 4 read-only words each with length 1, on lines 1720 (being "discoverable.") and 1739 ("bring order to chaos, define markets, reveal intent."). They are counted as read-only because you cannot remove the content of the entity from the definition of the entity, you can remove only the entity reference.

Regards,
Sorin
dcdenison

Post by dcdenison »

thank you sorin. That doesn't sound like it will cause any problems.

appreciate the help!

DC