Validating XML with associated DTD and xsd

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
dsugar

Validating XML with associated DTD and xsd

Post by dsugar »

I'm designing an XSD that uses the MathML XSD (through xs:import). Generally everything is working just fine. But now the client is needing to include entities that are defined in the MathML DTD.

Since XSD's don't include a way to define entities I was looking around for a way to use the entities defined in the MathML DTD but still use my XSD and MathML XSD. There is a claim on the page:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-MathML2-20 ... g-charents

That you can mix DTD and XSD. I tried to use the example given with oxygen and it failed validation.

If both a DTD and XSD are specified in an XML document will the XSD be ignored or used by oxygen?

Is there a way to include a series of entity definitions somehow but use an XSD for primary validation of an XML file?

Is there something else I should be looking into doing (besides re-writing the XSD I have done as a DTD)?

Thanks
Dave Sugar
dsugar@dolphinsoft.com
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Dear Dave,

Thanks for pointing out this issue.

Currently if you specify a DTD the validation will be tried agaist that DTD only, disregarding the schema.

We will add an option in the next release that will allow you to validate against the specified schema even if a DTD is also specified. Thus you will be able to use entities defined in DTD together with validation against the specified schema.

Best Regards,
George