"Double-Click Timeout" setting in Ubuntu ineffective in Oxygen

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Wolfhart

"Double-Click Timeout" setting in Ubuntu ineffective in Oxygen

Post by Wolfhart »

Hello

I have recently switched from MacOS to Ubuntu and have run into a couple of problems with Oxygen for Ubuntu. A couple of weeks ago I posted about a problem with the launcher ([url]http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/topic7718.html[/url]). I have also come across a second and more important problem. It has to do with the fact that, when opening a file, a double-click in the file system browser opens the file while two separate clicks rename it. The problem I have encountered is that the "double-click timeout" setting in Ubuntu has no effect in Oxygen. Even if I set this timeout to maximum, I still have to click very fast in order for two clicks to be registered as a double-click rather than two separate clicks. This is a problem for me because on the touchpad of my laptop I cannot click that fast. So what happens is that when I try to open a file with the touchpad (rather than with an external mouse), the file is always selected for renaming rather than opened. Is there something I can do about this?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Wolfhart
Wolfhart

Re: "Double-Click Timeout" setting in Ubuntu ineffective in Oxygen

Post by Wolfhart »

I forgot to specify: I am using Ubuntu 12.10 and I tried with Oxygen 10.3 and 14.1.
Wolfhart
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hello,

Please note that this issue is not strictly related to oXygen XML Editor.

It seems that is a Linux X11 bug, due to some issue between the X Window System and the Java Virtual Machine timeout setting for double-click.

However, a workaround has been found for that, as you could see if you visit the following link:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/55270

The workaround would be to edit the "x11-common" file in the /etc/X11/Xresources folder and add the following line (parameter) inside it:
*multiClickTime: 400
In case you still find the timeout to low, you could try to set the multiClickTime to a higher value (e.g 600)

Because this is a configuration file, make sure to edit the "x11-common" file with administrative rights.
After saving the modified file, just log out your system and after you log back in the new setting should take effect, having a reasonable time out for double-clicks from now on.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
Wolfhart

Post by Wolfhart »

Thank you, Costin! I was not aware that this is a more general bug. The workaround described under the link you gave solved the problem.
Wolfhart