Transformation in eclipse plugin signals xsl errors in xml

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Olaf Kock

Transformation in eclipse plugin signals xsl errors in xml

Post by Olaf Kock »

I've made a mistake editing a xsl stylesheet in oxygen eclipse plugin (wrote <xsl:if test="something='bla">, forgot to enter the closing ' (what's that called in english?)
The error was signalled in the (perfectly valid) xml that I wanted to transform with the bad xsl. The error was signalled after I choose "Apply Transformation". I'd expect it to be signalled in the xsl :-) (It is signalled there when I choose "validate document" in the xsl editor)

btw the plugin version was the new beta 3 downloaded some days ago, displayed in "About Eclipse plugins" as 2.0.1

Olaf
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Thanks Olaf,

We know about this and we discussed some possible solutions. The solution we will implement is to add problem markers in the file that causes the error if that resource can be found in the workspace, otherwise we will add a problem marker on the first line of the current file and put the system ID and line information of the actual file where the error belongs in the error message. The later case can appear if the stylsesheet is somewere on the web for instance and it contains errors. Let us know if you think we should treat this differently than what I described.

Best Regards,
George
oko

Post by oko »

Almost everything is ok that makes me wonder, why a line within a multiline comment is supposed to have an error - and another line, after I delete the marked line.
I think the first line is ok, as it is somehow special. If the error message clearly states that the error is in another file that is not available in the workspace, that's fine. If it is available, it'd be nicer to signal it there.
But - as I said - everything that makes me look in the right place would be ok. (at least for me:-)