XMLSpy tree style

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
ted

XMLSpy tree style

Post by ted »

Hi oxygen team,

Is there a chance to support the XMLSpy tree style in oxygen ?

Ted
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Ted,

I guess you mean the grid view. We do not have such plans on a short/medium term. On a long term basis combined with user requests in this direction I would say that it is possible to add such a feature.

However, with respect to tree view/editing we are going towards improving the tree based outliner. The main advantage of the tree outliner from oXygen is that it can handle not wellformed documents and it is always synchronized with the text editor.

Best Regards,
George
cornucopia

Tree editor vs. XMLSpy's grid view

Post by cornucopia »

george wrote:I guess you mean the grid view. We do not have such plans on a short/medium term. On a long term basis combined with user requests in this direction I would say that it is possible to add such a feature.
Add me to the user's request list for this feature!
george wrote:However, with respect to tree view/editing we are going towards improving the tree based outliner. The main advantage of the tree outliner from oXygen is that it can handle not wellformed documents and it is always synchronized with the text editor.
One of the things I really like about XMLSpy's grid view is that you can see a document structure as a table and eventually cut and paste it to a spreadsheet.

Second, you can change views from text to grid and vice-versa whenever you want in the same document tab and even during a debbuging session.

Third, you can set the grid view as the default view per file type. This is perfect for large files, since they open quicker in grid view than text view. (They open quickly in Oxygen's tree editor also, but...)

Fourth, you can fully edit a file in grid view, such as selecting a set of nodes for deletion, copying and pasting nodes to another file or application, etc.

Fifth, you can calculate xpath functions in grid view (and text view), without having to resource to a debugging session.

If you consider the above I will seriously think about dropping XMLSpy and buying you a license!
TVNshack

XMLspy Grid becomes a std to graphically represent schemas

Post by TVNshack »

I want it too, strongly !!!

Industry is going towards using XMLspy Grid as a standard to graphically represent schemas.

Even if oXygen can not "copy" the other product, at least, it can come up with its own design for graphical widgets.

One very interesting feature of the XMLspy Grid is the capability to easily document a schema.

Please help us being motivated to stick with oXygen ;-)

Thank you all.

Thierry
topping

Post by topping »

Yes, here's another vote for GridView! I can't ask for this to be completed fast enough.

If I might suggest, as you consider productivity of the tool, be sure to consider the little problems that happen constantly during use of the tool as well as big problems that might not occur that often. So for instance, I might use Trang only once every week, but then all week am having to fight with the tree editor. This is a poor example, but illustrates the point.

Also, this is my first post to the forum. Many people may be unaware of it.

Thanks for a great tool!
topping

For instance...

Post by topping »

I need to replace a single attribute in a bunch of elements in a file I am looking at.

One of the things I can do with spy grid view is change it once, then do the equivilent of "fill down". Or for that matter, create a new attribute/element in all of the elements of a range by just adding the column header to the grid view.
cornucopia

Re: For instance...

Post by cornucopia »

[quote="topping"]One of the things I can do with spy grid view is change it once, then do the equivilent of "fill down". Or for that matter, create a new attribute/element in all of the elements of a range by just adding the column header to the grid view.[/quote]

Yes!!! Guys your new folding feature and code templates are just COOL!!! but please provide something like this functionality!!!

Regards

:shock:
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, we are watching :).
We will have the grid based editor added to the poll on the main page.

Best Regards,
George