NVDL (NRL) support

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
madde001

NVDL (NRL) support

Post by madde001 »

With oXygen having excellent support for RNG and (now) Schematron, it will surely be a favorite tool for DSDL afficianados.

I'd like to mention that DSDL Part 4 (NVDL = namespace-based validation dispatching language) just came out last week in a preliminary request-for-comments version (downloadable at http://xml.coverpages.org/NVDL-FCD20050103.pdf). NVDL is largely based on James Clark's previous NRL work (http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/nrl.html). NRL has some existing support in jing, although it's not clear to me how much from just perusing the jing documentation.

I can well imagine how an editing environment like oXygen might provide very cool user-friendly support for interaction with NVDL schemas. For example, since oXygen now supports WXS, RNG and Schematron, I can envision extensions to the "assign schema" functionality that would allow using a friendly, menu driven/highlight-driven interface of some kind to assign multiple schemas in >1 schema languages to portions of a single instance document. This would then generate the appropriate NVDL. When validating, the environment could (using calls to and from Jing, or whatever the engine was) handle the piecemeal validation and integrate the display of the error messages in some clever, useful fashion (to be defined).

If you wanted to take on a huge project, you could write an original (?oXygen-specific?) NVDL dispatch engine from scratch to lie on top of existing validators and parcel out the pieces as appropriate.

Anyway, NVDL support is (probably) not "ripe" yet for actual implmentation in a product, but it's definitely something to keep on the radar screen and lies right in the market direction that oXygen is positioning itself in.

John
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi John,

Oxygen has NRL support since version 3.0 (January 2004). You can edit NRL schemas, associate them with the editor, documents with associated NRL schema and validate documents with an external NRL schema.

Best Regards,
George
madde001

Post by madde001 »

George,

Good heavens! You're way ahead of me. I didn't even realize this :oops:

Well, now that I see it, it's time for me to start using it ! (and publicizing it to others :lol: ).

Once again, this just goes to show how great this product is. Thanks.

John
Chris Lilley

Post by Chris Lilley »

NVDL is now a Final Committee Draft:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~eb2m-mrt/dsdl/

Its largely NRL in a different namespace. I suppose an update depends on Jing being updated.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi Chris,

Yes, we are aware of that, I noticed Makoto's post on XML-DEV a few months ago. Indeed, the easiest way will be to have Jing updated but we will consider in the future also working on the Jing code base to add NVDL support. We also explored a little the possibilities to add content completion support based on a NRL/NVDL grammar. That will be a really nice to have feature IMO especially when it comes to edit documents with multiple grammars like XHTML+XForms.

Best Regards,
George