Transform - system cannot find path specified

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
Mishka28

Transform - system cannot find path specified

Post by Mishka28 »

When attempting to transform a docbook file, using ${currentfileURL}as XML URL,and ${frameworks}/docbook/xsl/epub/docbook.xsl, the transform fails with the message "system cannot find path specified" (to the XML file). The XML file is loaded and open in editor window. Would someone please explain.
adrian

Re: Transform - system cannot find path specified

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Please note that the editor variables(macros) are case sensitive.
${currentfileURL} is not the same as ${currentFileURL} and will not be expanded.

Correct the editor variable from the XML URL field to ${currentFileURL} and it will work.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Mishka28

Post by Mishka28 »

The quote in my message, "${currentfileURL}", is incorrect and I apologize for the confusion. It is correct in the transform scenario, ${currentFileURL}, which does not work.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Then please let me know the exact error message that you are receiving.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
Mishka28

Post by Mishka28 »

SystemID: C:\LSP Project\LSP7.xml
Engine name: Saxon6.5.5
Severity: error
Description: The system cannot find the path specified
adrian

Post by adrian »

What version of Oxygen are you currently using(Help -> About)?

I assume the file: "C:\LSP Project\LSP7.xml" exists and is the actual file opened in the editor.

Does the transformation scenario react any differently when you apply it to a different XML file?
e.g. Try one of the Oxygen samples(Oxygen/samples/personal.xml).

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
Rumplestiltzkin

Post by Rumplestiltzkin »

Did anyone ever figure out what the problem here is? I'm getting the same error. I'm using v12.2 (although I replaced the DocBook XSL files with version 1.76.1). I tried it using the oxygen sample DocBook file (Oxygen/samples/docbook/v5/sample.xml) and it made no difference.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Mishka28 did not follow through with this, so I don't know what the problem was.

My guess is there's something in the stylesheet that Saxon 6.5.5 can't find, but the Saxon error is not very explicit.
Have you tried debugging it (Document > Transformation > Debug Scenario)?
For debugging use a simple XML file as input and you should be able to figure out where is it failing in the stylesheet (if that's the problem).

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
Rumplestiltzkin

The error I get from the XSLT debugger is:
SystemID: C:\Program Files (x86)\Oxygen XML Editor 12\frameworks\docbook\xsl\xhtml-1_1\chunker.xsl
Severity: fatal
Description: Failed to create output file OEBPS/bk01-toc.html - The system cannot find the path specified
Start location: 198:0
It occurs on line 198 of Oxygen/frameworks/docbook/xsl/xhtml-1_1/chunker.xsl
William

Post by William »

Can I suggest that you remove the space from the Path.

SystemID: C:\LSP Project\LSP7.xml

And maybe use : SystemID: C:\LSP_Project\LSP7.xml

Instead.

--
William
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

@William: Mishka28 had the space in the file path (C:\LSP Project), but did not follow through with this. Rumplestiltzkin has this in a different folder. But I believe the problem lies elsewhere.

I believe the problem in both cases is that an output folder was not specified in the stylesheet parameters.
For ${frameworks}/docbook/xsl/epub/docbook.xsl You have to set:
epub.oebps.dir
epub.metainf.dir
epub.opf.fileref
Setting all these is really cumbersome and besides that the stylesheet is not going to build the EPUB file, just the inner file+folder structure.
This is exactly the reason why Oxygen has a built-in DocBook to EPUB transformation scenario that is ANT based (instead of XSLT based). All these parameters are passed by the ANT script to the stylesheet and at the end of the transformation the EPUB is packed from the output folder.

I would recommend using either the default DocBook EPUB transformation scenario or duplicating and customizing it to suit your needs.

I'd like to add that it's generally not recommended to replace the frameworks and libraries from the Oxygen folder with newer versions, because some of the files might be patched or added specifically for Oxygen's use and by altering/replacing them you could disrupt some of the Oxygen functionality and features. If that's the case, I suggest reinstalling Oxygen.

It's generally a better idea to keep a newer version of the framework in a separate folder and then duplicate and customize the default Oxygen transformations to point to the new framework or stylesheets. This way you can at least go back to the default Oxygen transformation/framework when you feel that something is off.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
Rumplestiltzkin

adrian wrote:...
I'd like to add that it's generally not recommended to replace the frameworks and libraries from the Oxygen folder with newer versions, because some of the files might be patched or added specifically for Oxygen's use and by altering/replacing them you could disrupt some of the Oxygen functionality and features. If that's the case, I suggest reinstalling Oxygen.

It's generally a better idea to keep a newer version of the framework in a separate folder and then duplicate and customize the default Oxygen transformations to point to the new framework or stylesheets. This way you can at least go back to the default Oxygen transformation/framework when you feel that something is off.
Yes, that's actually what we do. The only reason I changed it in this case was because I was getting this error and I thought that perhaps a more recent version of DocBook XSL would fix it. I also only replaced the xsl directory, not the whole framework. And, in fact, it's now been changed back. :-)

Thanks for your help.