When we press Enter in Author view

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
Vincent

When we press Enter in Author view

Post by Vincent »

In the Author View.
When I press the Enter Key, a window appears and propose to me :
  • to split the current element.
  • to insert other elements.
In our practice,
Our current element is a paragraph. When they hit the Enter key, my users would like this paragraph be splitted in 2 and then a new paragraph is automatically created (between the two <p> splitted) for the new text.

Is a such functionnality can be implemented ?
If yes, what are the java class to be used ?

Thank you for your help.
Vincent.
Radu

Re: When we press Enter in Author view

Post by Radu »

Hi Vincent,

The behavior your users want can still be done with the current behavior if the user first splits the paragraph and then splits again the second paragraph (basically if he presses ENTER four times).

I have not seen this behavior of creating three paragraphs when ENTER is pressed in any text processor but if they want this behavior:

You have the following two options:

1) You edit the document type and in the Actions list you add your own action with the keyboard shortcut ENTER and which triggers your own custom operation which will handle the split.
So when the user presses ENTER your Java operation will be invoked and it will be your responsibility to split the paragraph using the current API (probably creating a document fragment from the caret offset to the end of the paragrapf, removing the content and then inserting the created fragment after the paragraph).

Proposal (1) has as a drawback that the content completion window will not be shown at all by Oxygen when ENTER is pressed, if you want to show allowed child elements at that certain offset you will have to implement your own content proposals window.

2) The ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.AuthorDocumentController has a method called: ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.AuthorDocumentController.setDocumentFilter(AuthorDocumentFilter).

In the AuthorDocumentFilter you could overwrite this method:

Code: Select all

public boolean split(AuthorDocumentFilterBypass filterBypass, AuthorNode toSplit, int splitOffset)
and instead of delegating the default behavior you could also perform your own split using the API.

Or you could delegate to the default behavior twice, this could also work.

Based on your decision I can give you more implementation details for each approach.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thank you Radu,

Both of your solutions are good for us. (My users are in search of a "Word like" editing mode, so they would prefer not to see the content completion)

I really appreciate your support.

Vincent.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Vincent,

So approach number (1):

Create your own Author operation Java implementation extending ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.AuthorOperation.

The implementation code for such a Split operation could be something like this:

Code: Select all

/**
* @see ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.AuthorOperation#doOperation(ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.AuthorAccess, ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.ArgumentsMap)
*/
@Override
public void doOperation(AuthorAccess authorAccess, ArgumentsMap args)
throws IllegalArgumentException, AuthorOperationException {
//Split the current paragraph
int caretOffset = authorAccess.getEditorAccess().getCaretOffset();
AuthorNode paragraphAtCaret = null;
try {
//Maybe we are in an XML tag which is a child or descendant of a <p>
AuthorNode currentNode = authorAccess.getDocumentController().getNodeAtOffset(caretOffset);
while(currentNode != null) {
if("p".equals(currentNode.getName())) {
//Found it
paragraphAtCaret = currentNode;
break;
}
}
} catch (BadLocationException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}
if(paragraphAtCaret != null) {
//The caret is inside a paragraph.
try {
AuthorDocumentFragment rightSplit = null;
if(caretOffset < paragraphAtCaret.getEndOffset()) {
rightSplit = authorAccess.getDocumentController().createDocumentFragment(caretOffset,
//The end offset is inclusive so the created fragment will actually be a <p> holding inside it the content
paragraphAtCaret.getEndOffset());
} else {
//ENTER WAS PRESSED AT THE END OF THE PARA
}
//The empty <p/>
String xmlToInsert = "<p/>";
if(rightSplit != null) {
//The right splitted <p>
xmlToInsert += authorAccess.getDocumentController().serializeFragmentToXML(rightSplit);
}
//Insert the new content
authorAccess.getDocumentController().insertXMLFragment(xmlToInsert, paragraphAtCaret.getEndOffset() + 1);
if(rightSplit != null) {
//Delete the old content
authorAccess.getDocumentController().delete(caretOffset, paragraphAtCaret.getEndOffset() - 1);
}
//Place the caret in the empty paragraph
authorAccess.getEditorAccess().setCaretPosition(paragraphAtCaret.getEndOffset() + 2);
} catch (BadLocationException e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}
}
}
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com