Counting things in a file using Find/Replace dialog.

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
snewton

Counting things in a file using Find/Replace dialog.

Post by snewton »

In some text editors in the Find dialog there is a button that allows the searched for string to be simply counted. You can also do this in Word by using ^& in the "Replace" box and noticing how many replacements were made (it is just replacing with the string in the Find box, so effectively no changes occur... less elegant but it works). I couldn't find a way to count like this in the Help file for oXygen or on this noticeboard. If I missed something, please could someone direct me to the right place. If there is no such feature please could I suggest one is added?
Many thanks.
Simon.
Costin

Re: Counting things in a file using Find/Replace dialog.

Post by Costin »

Hello,

Could you please specify what version of oXygen are you using ?

If I understand correctly, you want to see how many occurrences of a particular string are in the document, in order to make an ideea of how many replacements will be done.

For that, you could just type the string you want and apply the Find All action. This will give you the total number of occurences in the document, displayed just above the "Close" buton in the Find/Replace dialog window.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
snewton

Post by snewton »

Hi Costin,

I'm using XML Editor 13.2, build 2012021614.

And thanks, you have given me the answer. Could I recommend that the Help file for oXygen gets a new entry in the Index for "counting" that mentions that this is how you can count strings?

Again, many thanks, and sorry to trouble you...

Simon.
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi Simon,

I'm glad that I could be helpful and thank you for your feedback.
I already reported this to our technical documentation department and the Help will be improved to better reflect where the number of occurences is displayed.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support