Memory problem / PDF transformation fails

susannecm
Posts: 60

Memory problem / PDF transformation fails

Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm

I have a document of 1100 pages which transformed nicely until today (didn't add that much today).
I'm using oXygen 13.1 with RenderX XEP.

The error message is:

Code: Select all

BUILD FAILED
C:\Oxygen XML Editor 13\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\build.xml:38: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Oxygen XML Editor 13\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\build.xml:611: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
   at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(Unknown Source)
   at org.dita.dost.reader.MergeTopicParser.processingInstruction(MergeTopicParser.java:304)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.processingInstruction(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanPIData(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLScannerXerces.scanPI(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.dita.dost.reader.MergeTopicParser.parse(MergeTopicParser.java:212)
   at org.dita.dost.reader.MergeMapParser.endDocument(MergeMapParser.java:246)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endDocument(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.endEntity(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.endEntity(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityScannerXerces.load(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityScannerXerces.skipSpaces(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$TrailingMiscDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
   at org.dita.dost.reader.MergeMapParser.read(MergeMapParser.java:99)
   at org.dita.dost.module.TopicMergeModule.execute(TopicMergeModule.java:86)
   at org.dita.dost.pipeline.PipelineFacade.execute(PipelineFacade.java:56)
   at org.dita.dost.invoker.ExtensibleAntInvoker.execute(ExtensibleAntInvoker.java:213)
   at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)

Total time: 42 seconds

The process finished with exit code: 1


So far I have tried the following changes of the transformation scenario:
  • Increase maxJavaMemory in the Parameters tab from 500m to 1000m
  • Set the JVM Arguments in the Advanced tab from -Xmx256m to -Xmx512m
No changes at all.

What can I do to get the transformation running again?
My OS is Windows 7 64 bits.

Thanks for any help.

Susanne
Radu
Posts: 5809

Re: Memory problem / PDF transformation fails

Fri May 25, 2012 11:26 am

Hi Susanne,

Strange one.
Oxygen uses the DITA Open Toolkit to publish DITA content to various output sources.
Usually in such cases when the DITA content has increased a little in size increasing the -Xmx in the JVM Arguments text field should be enough.

First you should try to increase the -Xmx to something like -Xmx900m.
If the transformation still fails with the same reported problem then this is probably a bug in the DITA Open Toolkit triggered by one of the minor changes you have made to the DITA content. Did you add any possible recursive content references for example?

Unfortunately such things are very hard to debug without a sample project on which the problem can be reproduced.

The next version of the DITA OT will be much more memory efficient when generating PDF.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
susannecm
Posts: 60

Re: Memory problem / PDF transformation fails

Fri May 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi Radu,

I had already tried -Xmx1024m yesterday, after posting this, and the build failed again.
This morning, I did some minor changes to the docs (including changes of, buut these footnotes have been there for weeks).
Then I tried the transformatin again, and it worked.
So for now, the problem seems to be gone ...

Thanks a lot for your help

Susanne

Return to “DITA (Editing and Publishing DITA Content)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 0 guests