Excel > XML Workflos

Oxygen general issues.
AmyB

Excel > XML Workflos

Post by AmyB »

I am evaluating Oxygen as a replacement to Excel for our XML editing needs. Up to now, we have used a very “flat” XML structure. This works well with Excel, but is limiting from a programming point of view. However, if I can’t demonstrate a work flow that the current content producers are happy with, we will not be able to move to Oxygen and the benefits I feel it provides.

The issue I'm having is that when I have a group of repeating elements and I select a column (that might be attributes, #text, ot what have you) and paste a column of values from Excel into it, it only overwrites the value in the bottommost cell, then creates a more repeating elements with just that value filled in (the number being the number I pasted in -1). At that point, I can drag the pasted values up to where they were supposed to go and delete the excess tags, but this is not ideal.

I'm not sure if this should be a feature request, bug report, or if this is a setting I have managed to miss. If someone could give me more information on what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Amy
adrian

Re: Excel > XML Workflos

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Are you pasting the Excel cells in the Grid or Author mode from Oxygen?

Could you please write to our support email address: support AT oxygenxml DOT com and provide more details and if possible, a few samples or screenshots with the content that you are attempting to paste in Oxygen.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
AmyB

Post by AmyB »

Can you confirm that you received the documents I sent?

Thanks!

Amy
adrian

Post by adrian »

I just want to clarify what happens for other users that might encounter this.

What happens is that in Grid mode(up to and including v13.2) the selection is not overwritten when pasting. The paste operation only looks at the location of the selection caret(the last selected cell) and overwrites all the cells starting with that one. Note that the last selected cell has a distinct highlight color.

I have logged this to our issue tracking and we will resolve it in the next version of Oxygen.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com