XML Structure Outline Title display

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
newt

XML Structure Outline Title display

Post by newt »

Changing this from an attribute to an XPath statement would be very useful. It's fairly common in (for example) DocBook to have something like

Code: Select all

<section>
<info>
<title>[b]Section Title[/b]</title>
</info>
</section>
Right now, there's no way to display Section Title in the outline (is there?)

cheers

nic
Director, Corbas Consulting
XML and eBook consultancy and training
adrian

Re: XML Structure Outline Title display

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

Right now, if the option Show text is selected the Outliner looks like this:

- section
- info Section Title
- title Section Title
If an element is empty then its presenter will show its enclosing text or if it has no text it will inherit it from its first child(only 1 level deep).
So you will see that text in the outliner on both 'title' and 'info' elements, but it will not get as far as the 'section' element.
I'm guessing you wanted to see it on the section element. Is that right?

The Outliner view will undergo some changes in the next version of Oxygen. I believe this was one of the problems already on the list of things to address. I'll double check and add your request to that list if necessary.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
newt

Post by newt »

Hi Adrian

That's exactly what I meant and that would be fantastic. I mostly work with document based XML and the appropriate title may well be in an unexpected or unusual location!

cheers

nic
Director, Corbas Consulting
XML and eBook consultancy and training
kwringe

Post by kwringe »

On a similar vein, would it be possible to customize the elements that appear in the Outline pane? Users on my team have largely given up on using the Outline pane because it shows every tag in the document. We would prefer to be able to control, via Preferences, what elements appear in the Outline. There are only certain block elements that are of interest to us (e.g., section, sidebar), and it is difficult to find these particular elements when they are listed along the other elements.
For example, some of our outline panes look like the following:
-section titletext
-title titletext
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-indexterm text
-para text
-para text
-note text
-sidebar titletext
-sidebar titletext
We would prefer to customize the outline pane so that we saw:
-section titletext
-sidebar titletext
-sidebar titletext

Thank you,
Kate
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Kate,

Oxygen 12 (which will probably get released in late August this year) will introduce the possibility to filter nodes in the outliner (a small filter text field located above the Outline Tree).
So if you will introduce a filter like: section,sidebar you should get what you want.
If you want to test an Oxygen 12 beta just write us an email.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Mutzel

Post by Mutzel »

Hi,

I have an additional request concerning the outline view and its display of title elements.
The outline view works fine if we have a xml structure as follows:
<section>
<title>Heading</title> ...

But sometimes we have other elements inside <title> right a the beginning of the title element, e.g.
<section>
<title><target id="_123"/>Heading</title>

Is it possible to customize the outline view so that it only shows the text node and ignores all other elements inside <title>?
We are using Oxygen 12.2 at the moment.

Regards,
Mutzel
mihaela

Post by mihaela »

Hi Mutzel,

The elements presented in the Outline view can be filtered directly only by name (using the outline filter text field).

You could however customize the Outline content by using our Java based Author SDK:
implement a ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.structure.AuthorOutlineCustomizer (which allows you to filter nodes and customize nodes rendering in the Author Outline).

Please let me know if you want to try this approach and I will try to give you more details.

Best regards,
Mihaela
Mihaela Calotescu
Mutzel

Post by Mutzel »

Hi Mihaela,

thanks for your quick response and the information!

I would like to try the Author SDK. Please provide more details for the implementation.

Thanks and best regards.
Andrea
mihaela

Post by mihaela »

Hi Andrea,

By using the Author SDK you can customize each of the document types defined in oXygen.

You can see the list of all document types in Options menu->Preferences->Document Type Association panel. If you choose to edit one of the available document types you will see that you can specify an Extensions Bundle (see the Extension tab) for that document type (an implementation of the ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.ExtensionsBundle class, available through oXygen API).

You can read more about how you can create and register an extension bundle in our online documentation:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-editor/ ... undle.html

If you provide an implementation of the ExtensionsBundle, it will be instantiated when the rules of the Document Type Association defined for the custom framework match a document opened in the editor.

To customize the Author Outline for your document type, you have to implement the createAuthorOutlineCustomizer() method in the document type ExtensionsBundle:

public AuthorOutlineCustomizer createAuthorOutlineCustomizer() {
return new CustomAuthorOutlineCustomizer();
}
The CustomAuthorOutlineCustomizer class (which is an extension of ro.sync.ecss.extensions.api.structure.AuthorOutlineCustomizer) should implement the ignoreNode(AuthorNode node) method to decide what are the nodes that must be ignored (the ones with title element as parent):

public class CustomAuthorOutlineCustomizer extends AuthorOutlineCustomizer {

public boolean ignoreNode(AuthorNode node) {
boolean ignore = false;
AuthorNode parent = node.getParent();

if("title".equals(parent.getName())) {
ignore = true;
}

return ignore;
}
}
If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Mihaela
Mihaela Calotescu
Mutzel

Post by Mutzel »

Hi Mihaela,

(1)It works fine in the Author mode, but in the Text view it doesn't. Is it possible to implement the same functionality into the Text mode?

(2) Furthermore I found another problem with comments in the Outline view:

For example I have an XML code like:
<title><!--1.1.1--> Heading</title>

As soon as there is a comment at the beginning of an element, it won't show the title text. I disabled the "Show comments and processing instructtions" option, but Oxygen still shows the text of the comment as normal text of the element. Is this bug something to be changed in the next version?

Thanks a lot for your support!
Regards.
Mutzel
mihaela

Post by mihaela »

Hi Mutzel,

1) We have added a new support in oXygen 13.2 SDK (the 13.2 version will be released in January 2012) for customizing the rendering information (the node rendered text, tooltip and icon) used to display a node in the Outline view (including in Text mode), Author bread crumb, Content Completion popup window, Elements view and DITA Map view.

The new support will be available also in the ExtensionBundle, by implementing a ro.sync.exml.workspace.api.node.customizer.XMLNodeRendererCustomizer.

For the moment this customization does not include filtering support, but I have added a feature request for this in our internal issue tracker. We will notify you when this will be implemented.

2) I have registered an internal issue for this problem also. We will try to exclude the comments from the text rendered in Outline when "Show comments and processing instructions" option is disabled.
Unfortunately, I don't think that this fix will be available in the next version.

Regards,
Mihaela
Mihaela Calotescu
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Oxygen 14.1 was just released and it should contain a fix for problem (2).

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor