Mac OS X to Win XP Text Format

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
jmf314159

Mac OS X to Win XP Text Format

Post by jmf314159 »

Is there a way to save to diskette an *.htm file written/modified with Oxygen on an iMac such that it can be read (as properly formatted) by Notepad on an Intel box? Thanks.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

The encoding for XML files is very clearly specified. For non xml files (as in your case) oXygen uses a user configurable encoding. By default on Mac that is set to MacRoman. You can change it from Oxygen->Preferences dialog using the Encoding for non XML files entry in the Global tab. I guess that changing that to UTF-8 for instance will solve your problem.

Best Regards,
George
jmf314159

Post by jmf314159 »

Thanks, george, but I was speaking of converting from the unix style strings (terminated with the nl character 0x0a) to 'dos' style strings (terminated with cr/lf - i.e., 0x0d/0x0a).

When I use notepad at work to read an iMav/Oxygen produced text file, the text is readable, but all of the new-line formatting is lost. Interestingly, CodeWright handles the files just fine. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with html homework and my instructor uses notepad exclusively.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Try then setting the Line separator property (you can find it on the same preferences dialog tab) to Windows-like.

Best Regards,
George[/code]
jmf314159

Post by jmf314159 »

Nope. It still doesn't work. It's very frustrating ...

Surely someone out there has created an oxygen/iMac document readable by xp/Notepad. No?
dnedrow

Post by dnedrow »

This really has nothing to do with oXygen directly.

As you noted, it is a mismatch between how each OS handles new lines.

Here's a simple Mac version of the [unix|dos]2[unix|dos] utilities that are pretty standard. Apple should probably add this to the Darwin portion of OS X.

http://www.osxgnu.org/software/Fileutils/Unix2Dos/

I'm sure there are also Windows versions of the same utilities.

-David