memory problems with Java (latest Mac release for 10.3.6)

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
catterall

memory problems with Java (latest Mac release for 10.3.6)

Post by catterall »

I have just moved from Mac OS X Server 10.2.8 to Server 10.3.6 (on G4 Server hardware, 1.25 GB memory) This included a move up from the first update of Java to the second - 2nd. update is only for 10.3.5 on.

Under Oxygen 4.2 on MacOS 10.2.8 with Docbook 4.3 pre-release everything worked fine - XIncludes down several levels (Part, Chapter, Sect1) and transformation to xhtml and pdf all OK.

Moving the files to 10.3.6 on the same machine (another disk) resulted in memory exception from Java, moving them back again to 10.2.8 and they work fine.

(i've delayed the move to Oxygen 5 till this problem is resolved - one at a time is enough problerms!)

I have previously reprorted memory leak problems with Oxygen 4.2 and Docbook, but could always resolve them on 10.2.8 by closing Oxygen and re-starting. Now on 10.3.6 I just can't get the transformation to work at all - not even after a reboot and using an empty machine. I don't really believe I'm out of memory - I allocate 1 GB to Oxygen processes, - looks like the new Java update makes the memory problem worse.

XIncludes in Docbook 4.2 is a kludge (that works), pre-release Docbook 4.3 implements XIncludes correctly, although I leave the kludge in and all is well.

Looks to me like a Java problem in the new Apple release, but has anyone any relevant experience?

( I have other reasons for moving up in both Mac OS and Java, and would regard it as a very backward step to roll back on either.)

HELP PLEASE!

Ron
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Ron,

You can enable the FOP output (Options - Preferences - FO processors - Enable output of builtin FOP) and look at the error messages. Also you can set more memory for the FOP operation (Options - Preferences - FO processors - Memory available to builtin FOP). If you still get memory exceptions please send us the FOP output displayed by oXygen and the error messages displayed by Mac OS X at support at oxygenxml dot com.

Regards,
Sorin
catterall

Post by catterall »

Sorin
Many thanks for the quick reply. I have enabled FOP output and set memory for the FOP process to 1000MB. I also had, and still have, 1000MB set in oxygenMac.sh - I didn't realize this was not an overall setting.
I've now moved completely to oxygen 5, the html and copy transformation work OK, the xhtml output with chunking and some customization also works fine.
The FO processing to produce a PDF file works fine now.
The FOP output gives me about 3500 lines of diagnostic - looks like the normal "work still to do" stuff, but I haven't examined it in detail - I'll send you a copy if you want, but it doesn't look worthwhile to me.
I'm back in business again - many thanks for all the very timely help.
Ron