Custom "New Project" Layouts

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
Zearin

Custom "New Project" Layouts

Post by Zearin »

I would love it if the standalone version of Oxygen provided for some automated tasks when creating a new project (such as creating a skeleton of a directory hierarchy, or automatically adding the blue "Project" folders to commonly used locations on disk).

Currently I'm picturing something sort of like Eclipse's "New Project" dialog, but without all the crap that Eclipse has built-in. :) Just my preferred project layout, thanks very much!
-- Zearin
sorin_ristache

Re: Custom "New Project" Layouts

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

What should the skeleton of the hierarchy contain? What are the commonly used locations? Can you give some examples and tell us when they should be used?

Regards,
Sorin
Zearin

Post by Zearin »

Hmm. Well, I was imagining something like this…

A New Project dialog providing three options:
  1. New Blank Project [ current functionality ];
  2. New Project using Default template;
  3. New Project using Template… [ pick from user-defined templates ].
In the Preferences, there would be a list of "Project Templates", with the ability to specify a default for the most common type of project.

Each Template would provide a dialog similar to the Project View from the normal interface, with the additional option to Create SymLink To…. I find SymLinks incredibly useful for using my personal libraries in multiple projects. That way I don't have to waste space copying them, and I don't have to waste time trying to keep them all in sync. :)

Another possibility would be an item in Preferences that is simply a list of Commonly Used Locations. The user could just add a bunch of locations here, and then the contextual menu could allow the user to copy… or symlink to… one of these locations.

Of course, if these ideas sound kind of okay but they spark a better idea for you, great! Sharing ideas among people who have different styles of thinking is a wonderful thing. :)
-- Zearin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Thank you for your suggestions. We will consider to create projects from templates in a future version.

Regards,
Sorin
Zearin

Project Templates

Post by Zearin »

Just wanted to re-request something I asked for ages ago.

(Please notice!: It’s not my intention to spam this request. I just don’t want it to get forgotten when buried over time.)

The idea was to allow users to specify “templates” for their Oxygen projects. For example, this might mean creating a skeleton of directories, or symlinking in some common libraries.

The original thread is here. Thanks for your consideration!
-- Zearin
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

I've found the feature request logged on our issue tracking tool.
The good news is it has been discussed and decided to be a useful feature, so it will eventually be implemented. The bad news is it has been pushed back a few times and it's possible that it will be pushed back again.

Regards,
Adrian

PS: I've merged the new thread to the original one.
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
sorin_carbunaru

Post by sorin_carbunaru »

Hello,

I know this is a very old thread, but I thought someone might find it, therefore I want to announce that Oxygen 23 comes with project templates support.

Best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
Oxygen XML Editor