Schema-aware editing

This should cover W3C XML Schema, Relax NG and DTD related problems.
Falk

Schema-aware editing

Post by Falk »

Hi.

I just tried oxygen 4.2. While it is a smart piece of software I am still disappointed a bit.

What I am expecting from an XML-editor over, let's say, Emacs, is schema-awareness. However, oxygen's abilities in this respect are even worse than that of XML Spy.

First, attribute value insight at all works only with W3C schema (XSD), not with Relax NG schemas. With XSD, a plain enumeration does work (leads to a drop-down box after a CONTROL-SPACE).

Second, slightly more powerful value definitions such like (in Relax NG compact syntax):
--
colors = list { ( xsd:nonNegativeInteger | "black" | "white" )+ }
--
Do NOT lead to any drop-down. The enumerations (black, white) are not shown to guide the user - even without the integer above. In XML Spy, the above example works.

Many documents following a schema cannot be edited effectively because of this. Important information from the schema just is not presented to the user.

I do not know how oxygen is positioned on the market. However, with support for Relax NG and XML Spy being not that bright in this area, I guess fixing this up would be a good idea.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Just o keep the topic up to date, I replied here:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/ftopic603.html

Best Regards,
George