DITA transformation

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
julie

DITA transformation

Post by julie »

Hi
I am trying to generate a Word output using Oxygen. The requirement is as follows:
In each file there are three tables, for example Alpha, Beta, Gama. Each table has two columns and three rows and this structure is same for all the three tables in all the pages.

Now my manager wants Oxygen to add more tables automatically, if required, without doing anything manually in each file. Is this possible using DITA?
adrian

Re: DITA transformation

Post by adrian »

Hello,

The closest thing to MS Word output would be the RTF format. So first you would need to create a new DITA Transformation scenario of type RTF. You can do this after opening/creating a ditamap in the DITA Maps Manager, go to DITA Maps -> Configure Transformation Scenario, New and choose RTF from the list.

But seeing your request I'm not sure DITA is appropriate since it's a book or at least article centric document format.

And I really don't see how Oxygen could add tables automatically unless you write a custom stylesheet to copy/generate the content or you copy/paste that content yourself.

Are these some sort of forms? Do you input data in the tables?

Regards,
Adrian

PS: I have moved the topic to a more appropriate location.
<oXygen/> XML Editor -> Common Problems is mainly for Oxygen problems, issues, bugs, etc.
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
julie

Post by julie »

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
These are not forms. We do not input data. The data need to capture from the database and displayed it in the Word document.
Regards
Julie
bjlockie

Post by bjlockie »

julie wrote:Hi
Thanks for the reply.
These are not forms. We do not input data. The data need to capture from the database and displayed it in the Word document.
Regards
Julie
So the data in the database may have 3 or more tables?
Or are you saying the database may have a variable amount of records (3 tables for each record).
I think XML can do either.
I don't think you will need a specific dialect of XML such as DITA.
If you really need to publish in MSWord format (not RTF) then you'll need a Windows solution.
bjlockie

Post by bjlockie »

Oops, my reply is 2 years late. :-(