Could not open/create prefs root node

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
tatra603

Could not open/create prefs root node

Post by tatra603 »

Hello,

I have a minor problem. When I anytime start oXygen 11.0 using oxygen.bat or any other bat, I get error like:

Jan 6, 2010 2:59:59 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

What is wrong? Oxygen works fine, but such error could make users nervous. This error can be caused by the fact, that I and other users have Windows registry disabled for editing.

Thank You, Stepan
adrian

Re: Could not open/create prefs root node

Post by adrian »

Hello,

You have guessed correctly that it happens because you have disabled Windows registry editing.

I would advise you to enable registry editing for Oxygen at least once. Just enable it, start Oxygen and then close it. Afterwards you can disable it again and Oxygen should no longer complain. It's just an option that Oxygen needs to write to the registry and it only does this once.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
tatra603

Post by tatra603 »

Unfortunately, it is impossible to edit registry files by users. Just admins can do it. We are company with 7.500 users with some security set on desktops.

Is it very necessary to write into registry even once? On the other side, I guess, that I can live with this warning without any impact to the oXygen functionality, can I?
adrian

Post by adrian »

I have added an issue to our bug tracking tool to find a way of avoiding the windows registry write. We will notify you on this thread when it gets resolved.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
tatra603

Post by tatra603 »

Hello, is this problem solved already in 11.2 or will be solved in the (unknown) future? Thank You. Stepan
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

It hasn't been resolved in 11.2. I'm afraid it's the unknown future for this one.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
tatra603

Post by tatra603 »

Hello,

it looks like this is more serious problem, than looks few month ago. Today, I tried to use Apache FOP within oXygen 12.0 and oXygen finished with error pasted below.

Stepan

SystemID: L:\temp\01.xml
Engine name: Apache FOP
Severity: error
Description: The process 'Apache FOP' ended with code: 1.
The error was:
23.12.2010 14:33:36 java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
Transformer is net.sf.saxon.IdentityTransformer@b957ea
ERROR - Exception
net.sf.saxon.trans.XPathException: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO document.
at org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandlerFOP.transformTo(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandlerFOP.renderTo(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.startFOP(Main.java:166)
at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.main(Main.java:197)
Caused by: net.sf.saxon.trans.XPathException: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO document.
at net.sf.saxon.event.ContentHandlerProxy.handleSAXException(Unknown Source)
at net.sf.saxon.event.ContentHandlerProxy.startContent(Unknown Source)
at net.sf.saxon.event.NamespaceReducer.startContent(NamespaceReducer.java:197)
at net.sf.saxon.event.ReceivingContentHandler.startElement(ReceivingContentHandler.java:373)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.xinclude.XIncludeHandler.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImplXerces$NSContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at net.sf.saxon.event.Sender.sendSAXSource(Sender.java:397)
at net.sf.saxon.event.Sender.send(Sender.java:156)
at net.sf.saxon.IdentityTransformer.transform(IdentityTransformer.java:32)
... 4 more
Caused by: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO document.
at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder$MainFOHandler.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:262)
at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:163)
... 21 more

---------

net.sf.saxon.trans.XPathException: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO document.
at net.sf.saxon.event.ContentHandlerProxy.handleSAXException(Unknown Source)
at net.sf.saxon.event.ReceivingContentHandler.startElement(ReceivingContentHandler.java:373)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImplXerces$NSContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO document.
at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder$MainFOHandler.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:262)
... 21 more
---------
org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO document.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Stepan,

Actually the real error messages are these:

Code: Select all

Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO document.
Error: First element must be the fo:root formatting object. Found fo:page-sequence instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO
document.
After FOP fails Oxygen just presents all the console messages which were generated by Apache FOP. The first one is the problem discussed in the forum entries above, it has nothing to do with FOP failing, it's just a warning.

You probably modified the XSL which generates the FO file and now the generated FO file is no longer valid. You can choose not to process the FO file to PDF and just open it in Oxygen to see how it looks like.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
tatra603

Post by tatra603 »

Yes, You are right, I am sorry. Stepan
tatra603

Post by tatra603 »

[quote="Fransis"]After you do this as admin, it doesn't
look like it shows up again.[/quote]

Yes, but in my (corporate) environment users are never allowed to log as an administrator, nor to write into Windows registry. So maybe, sometimes it will be solved, but it has low priority for everyone, I guess. Stepan
user115232

Post by user115232 »

I just encountered this error too: "WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002"

I wanted to point out that it obfuscated the real error similar to the case that Radu pointed out to Stepan with one important difference: In my case the real error was not revealed until I ran Oxygen as Administrator.

In my case it's not a big deal because I can run Oxygen as Administrator, but if I couldn't this would have been a real pain.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

I understand.
Apache FOP is run as an external process (as a different Java VM) in order to have better control over the memory it consumes.
The started Java VM gives this warning when it tries to instantiate the java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences class.
When a fatal error occurs all the console output received from Apache FOP is presented to the user.
Indeed this warning is presented before the real problem and it's difficult to see the real problem at first glance but the real problem should also be present in the list.
Unfortunately I do not know what we could do on our side to help in this situation.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor