Display children topics in .pdf

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
altein

Display children topics in .pdf

Post by altein »

Hi,
I'm new to Oxygen. I have a question about generating.pdfs. I would like to display links to child topics in .pdf transforms adjacent to the content of the parent <topicref>s, aligned along the left margin of the page layout.

For example, I noticed in the OxygenXML Editor included sample "it-book" sample -- which uses the .bookmap DTD -- nested <topicref>s under <chapter> elements appear as links adjacent to the content text of the <chapter> content, aligned against the left margin. Is their some way of accomplishing this design using the learning.dtd or the general .map DTD?

Thanks,
Altein
Radu

Re: Display children topics in .pdf

Post by Radu »

Hi Altein,

Oxygen uses the DITA Open Toolkit to transform DITA Maps to published content.
Indeed I see your point: if a <chapter> in a bookmap contains sub-topic references in the PDF links to them will appear after the parent's title.
From what I see this is done by the stylesheets. There is an XSLT template called createMiniToc in OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR/frameworks/dita/DITA-OT/demo/fo/xsl/fo/commons.xsl which seems to be called for some bookmap parts but not for simple topic references which include other topic references.

What you can try is that for the topicrefs in for which you want the mini TOC built in the PDF to set a class attribute like:

Code: Select all

<topicref href="topics/index.xml" class="- map/topicref bookmap/chapter ">
This will make the DITA Open Toolkit stylesheets treat it like a chapter and create a mini TOC for it.

I also suggest that you register and ask this problem also on the DITA Users List. Maybe they have a better solution:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
paulfinn31

Re: Display children topics in .pdf

Post by paulfinn31 »

Thanks for the info. I feel lucky because i don't have to add a new topic for my concerns. I just read and my problems are now solved. Thanks.
Paul Finn
Keyman Versicherung