Memory leak when validating files

Oxygen general issues.
abcoates

Memory leak when validating files

Post by abcoates »

I have a project with about 200 XML files and 100 Schemas. I have to repeatedly validate them all, dozens and dozens of times. What I find, during the course of a day, is that oXygen starts to get slower after a while, and then runs out of memory shortly afterwards. I assume there is some memory leak when repeatedly validating files. This isn't a big problem; it takes quite a lot of work to make it happen, and you only have to close and restart oXygen to avoid the issue.

Cheers, Tony.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hello Tony,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will try to find what is causing it.

Cheers,
Dan
sorin_ristache

Re: Memory leak when validating files

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
abcoates wrote:I assume there is some memory leak when repeatedly validating files. This isn't a big problem; it takes quite a lot of work to make it happen, and you only have to close and restart oXygen to avoid the issue.
There was a memory leak but not directly associated with validations. We fixed it. More recent Oxygen versions do not have the leak anymore.

Regards,
Sorin
TimNZ

Post by TimNZ »

Hi,

Running 11.1, and I can categorically state that there is still a memory leak.

Running on Windows7 x64, noticed the oxygen.exe task was consuming 800mb.
I had 6 smallish (max 100k) files open.

These files would often be updated outside Oxygen, and would auto be reloaded, or I was prompted to reload the document.

Closing all the documents resulting in no decrease in memory usage.
adrian

Post by adrian »

TimNZ wrote:Running 11.1, and I can categorically state that there is still a memory leak.

Running on Windows7 x64, noticed the oxygen.exe task was consuming 800mb.
Hello,

Since Oxygen is a Java application the memory allocated gradually by the Java Virtual Machine stays allocated until the application is closed. This is the norm for all Java applications and it's caused by the way Sun's JVM manages memory.

Oxygen is configured to use at most 700MB of memory. The memory necessary to run the JVM itself is added to this amount, so the windows process will probably get as big as 800MB after some time.

You can see how much of the JVM memory pool Oxygen is actually using in Help -> About (JVM Memory Used).

If you believe 700MB is excessive you can decrease this value by modifying the -Xmx700m parameter from the oxygen.vmoptions file from the Oxygen installation directory. Make sure you don't go below 256m.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
TimNZ

Post by TimNZ »

Ugly (Java VM memory management that is).

Thanks for prompt response.