bad performance on laptop

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Vosper

bad performance on laptop

Post by Vosper »

I have an HP Nx 7010 laptop, it's a 1.6ghz Pentium-M with 512mb ram. When I am running Oxygen 4.2, there is a significant performance problem when I am running on battery power. Even things like scrolling becomes very slow. As soon as I plug in the mains adaptor, everything starts running fine again. This problem only occurs in Oxygen. My laptop has a Radeon Mobility 9200 video chipset and I wondered if the problem was related to this post: http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/ftopic15 ... ght=laptop but the symptoms are different, as I have no problem with Windows freezing. Has anyone had any experience with this? I love the Oxygen editor, I want to buy a license but not if I can't use it when my laptop is running on batteries!

Craig
Dan

Post by Dan »

Oxygen is a Java aplication. I asume that the Java Virtual Machine was not optimized for functioning in "battery mode". I know that laptops are reducing the frequency of the processor in order to save the battery energy, so this has effect on the speed of any application.

Many Regards,
Dan
Vosper

Post by Vosper »

After a bit of tinkering, I discovered the performance is dependent on whether the graphics card (64mb ATI Mobility Radeon 9200) is set to "Optimal Performance" or "Optimal Battery Life". When I plug in mains power the setting automatically switches to best performance and that makes Oxygen run just fine. When it's set to Optimal Battery Life is when Oxygen slows down. I find this strange because I use other complex Java software (JBuilder is, I think, written in Java) which doesn't suffer from this problem.

Presumably the JVM is attempting to make use of some functions of the Radeon which it oghtn't be. So I guess the fix is to use the max performance setting, which munches battery life, but oh well. My experience with the Java highligher and xml parser combination is that it becomes unresponsive with large files, but that isn't the case here.

So I guess if anyone else has this problem on their laptops they should look at the graphics card settings.

BTW can I pass java command line paramters to Oxygen? How?

Craig
Dan

Post by Dan »

In the installation folder there is an oxygen.bat file you could use to change the command line for Oxygen. Currently the arguments passed to this bat file are interpreted as file to be opened.