Author mode - improvements in inserting of elements

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
honyk

Author mode - improvements in inserting of elements

Post by honyk »

Hello,

in Oxygen 11 it is impossible to place elements into inappropriate positions. It is nice feature, but it could be improved a bit. This request is based on my natural sense when a new element is being appended to the previous one. If previous element of my DocBook document is 'para' (block element), I tend to place the following 'para' just after closing tag. This is impossible. If it is clicked there, depending on vertical position either the last text position of previous para is selected or the caret is moved to the next line, just before the closing tag of the parent element.

I would suggest enabling the possibility to place the caret position on the same line just after the closing tag. Here it would be possible to insert a new element, but it would be actually inserted to the appropriate location on the next line.

I don't know if it is technically possible, but from user side it would be a nice enhancement.

Regards,
Jan
george
Site Admin

Re: Author mode - improvements in inserting of elements

Post by george »

Hi Jan,

We have this functionality covered.
If you press Enter at the end of the preceding para then the first entry in the completion popup is "Split para" and you can press Enter again to choose that. The result will be exactly what you want, you will have a new para inserted.

Hope that helps,
George
George Cristian Bina
honyk

Post by honyk »

Hello Radu,

I know this method, but I mean something different. Imagine the situation, when you are scrolling your document and in some point you want to add an element. I tend to click to the end of the line, but I am a bit puzzled when I don't see the cursor there, but before closing element or on the next line.

I've prepared two illustrative images. It would change the present concept and I dno't know if it would acceptable for other users...
Instead of the word 'split' a 'append' could be used.

Jan
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Dear Jan,

Thanks for your feedback!
There are two issues.
One is that when you click at the right of a block element the caret is placed inside that element instead of after that element. We will correct this for version 11.1.
The second issue is whether the caret between two blocks should be horizontal and placed between the two block at the left or it should be vertical and placed after the first block at the right. That is indeed questionable and I would prefer to have point 1 fixed and then to see how the editing works and decide whether or not we should implement the second point.

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

FYI
We implemented the first point. For example in your first case if you click after the memeber closing tag the caret will be placed between member and simplelist (and not inside member as it did in 11.0).

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina