Spell check - casing after abbreviations

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
honyk

Spell check - casing after abbreviations

Post by honyk »

Hello,

it would be nice if spell check knew that after "e.g.", "etc." or "i.e." it is ok to continue with lower case characters.

Jan
sorin_ristache

Re: Spell check - casing after abbreviations

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I am sorry, I cannot reproduce that. The spell checker allows words that start with lowercase letter after "etc.", "i.e.". I tried that with the English language spell checker. What language did you set in the spell checking dialog?

It could be a mistake only in the language that you selected for spell checking because in English it is not a mistake and it is not signaled as mistake by the English language spell checker.

Regards,
Sorin
honyk

Post by honyk »

Hello,

I should add I have checked option Case Sensitive in Spell Check's preferences. Looking into Help now I see there is probably wrong description for this option (functionality is inverted). I have English language set.

Jan
honyk

Post by honyk »

The same odd result I am getting also in Oxygen 11 Beta.
Btw, here is description from help: Case sensitive - When checked, operations ignore capitalization errors.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

honyk wrote:I should add I have checked option Case Sensitive in Spell Check's preferences. Looking into Help now I see there is probably wrong description for this option (functionality is inverted).
Just uncheck the option Case sensitive in the spell check options in Preferences -> Editor -> Spell Check if you want to allow words that start with a lowercase letter after etc. and i.e.. This is the use case of the option Case sensitive.

The Help description is wrong and we will correct it in the next version of Oxygen.

Regards,
Sorin
honyk

Post by honyk »

So I would enhance a bit my original post:

it would be nice if spell check knew that after "e.g.", "etc." or "i.e." it is ok to continue with lower case characters if Case Sensitive option is checked.

Jan
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

We will consider that for a future version.

Regards,
Sorin
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

This is a very old thread, but I have the same issue.

The spell check falsely highlights casing after abbreviations. In my case, after German abbreviations ("z.B.") lowercase words are highlighted. This is also the case for every other language I think.

I don't want to deactivate the "Check capilization" option completely. I want it to be smart enough to know when capitalization is correct and when not.

Is this already somehow possible with Oxygen 20.1?
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

I'm afraid I do not have a workaround for this right now. We'll look into the problem. From what I tested the spell checker behaves well when using the English "e.g." short form but indeed not when the German equivalent is used.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

Thanks for the confirmation and looking into this.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Coming back to this as I've had more time to look a little bit into the German abbreviation problem.
Thing is that for the English equivalent e.g. the English dictionary we use contains this word inside it. This is not the same for the German dictionary Oxygen uses which does not list z.B. as a word. At some point we'll look to see if updated versions of our used dictionaries are available and maybe the problem will be fixed after the update.
As a workaround, create somewhere on your disk a folder called for example extraGerman with two files inside, a file called de_DE_extra.aff which can remain empty and a file called de_DE_extra.dic which should have the content:

Code: Select all

z.B.
Open Oxygen and in the Preferences->Editor / Spell Check / Dictionaries page check the "Include dictionaries and term lists from " checkbox and add a reference to the newly created folder. Then restart Oxygen.
More details about providing custom terms:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... dictionary

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com