Help file font size

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Ian Proudfoot

Help file font size

Post by Ian Proudfoot »

The online help file for Oxygen 10.3 is displaying the text at about 10 times normal size. This means I can only read a few words at a time. This problem was not present at the previous release.
Is this a known issue or could it be my system? Help files for other applications are working as expected. I'm using Windows Vista SP1.

Thanks for any help

Ian
sorin_ristache

Re: Help file font size

Post by sorin_ristache »

The Font button from the toolbar of the Windows Help dialog invoked by Oxygen cycles through a sequence of 5 font sizes. The default font size is the second smallest one and the last font size used in the Help dialog is remembered until the next invocation of the dialog (a Windows feature). Did you press the Font button once or twice which increased the font size and when you reopened the Help dialog the last font size was restored?

Regards,
Sorin
Ian Proudfoot

Post by Ian Proudfoot »

Hi Sorin,
The problem is not due to the Font button, this is far larger than any size you can normally select using Windows help. At its smallest setting I would say the title font is perhaps 120pt!

Ian
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

I cannot reproduce a title font of 120 pt at the smallest size. I tested on Windows XP and Windows Vista. Do you mean that you press the Font button repeatedly and the font size is never smaller than that very large font?

We don't get such large fonts in the Help dialog (120 pt) but we will set the default font size smaller than now anyway in the next version.

Regards,
Sorin
cayennep

Post by cayennep »

I am also seeing this - cycling through changes the font size but it's still huge.

Is there any other way to access the help? It's pretty unusable.

thx
Ian Proudfoot

Post by Ian Proudfoot »

Could this be related to the use of Internet Explorer 8.0? Which has had some major changes in the area of CSS compatibility...

cayennep, are you using ie 8.0?

Regards
Ian
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

It seems the installation of Internet Explorer 8.0 creates this problem in the built-in Windows Help viewer. On Windows computers without Internet Explorer 8 the font size looks more normal. We will adapt the CSS stylesheet used in the Windows Oxygen help for IE 8.

Regards,
Sorin
ra0543

Post by ra0543 »

I don't think it is anything to do with IE 8. I only have IE 7 and I have this same problem with the Oxygen help file too. It wasn't present in the last release of Oxygen, only in the most recent one.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

What version of Windows do you have?

Regards,
Sorin
ra0543

Post by ra0543 »

I have Vista Business SP2.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

I also have Windows Vista Business SP2 (build 6002) installed on my computer and I don't have Internet Explorer 8.0 installed (I have only IE 7.0) but I don't have this font size problem in the Windows help dialog with the Oxygen help (Oxygen 10.3). That means we don't have yet a set of conditions for reproducing the problem. We will investigate the problem. If you know such a set of conditions please let us know.

Thank you,
Sorin
alyxandr

Post by alyxandr »

Same problem, on WinXP SP3, oXygen 10.3, and IE8 which doesn't work at all but crashes silently w/out activating the Windows crash reporting mechanism. Nice.
honyk

Post by honyk »

I'd like report the same problem on these systems:
Oxygen 10.3/Vista Business SP1 64-bit/MSIE7.0.6001.18000
Oxygen 10.3/Vista Business SP1 32-bit/MSIE7.0.6001.18000
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

The latest install kit of both Oxygen Editor 10.3 and Oxygen Author 10.3 (the build number remained the same because the code was not recompiled, only the help file was replaced: 2009070117) that is available on the Download page includes an improved Windows help file. The font size should not be huge anymore on any Windows machine. Please download and install it again.

Regards,
Sorin
honyk

Post by honyk »

Ok, font size is Ok now. Thanks.