Adding a Japanese font to Oxygen XML

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
stefanhinz

Adding a Japanese font to Oxygen XML

Post by stefanhinz »

I'm using Oxygen XML 10.2 on Linux/KDE. In my KDE-based applications like kate, fonts like Adobe Courier are available (and used) that allow me to properly display and edit Japanese text (DocBook XML, UTF-8).

In Oxygen XML, only a fraction of the KDE fonts are available, and there's not a single font that would display Japanese characters correctly. Instead, all I get is squares.

Any pointers as to how configure Oxygen XML (and/or the JVM) so that it allows to select Adobe Courier as the "editor" font are greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

-Stefan
sorin_ristache

Re: Adding a Japanese font to Oxygen XML

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Do you mean Adobe Courier and other fonts capable to display Japanese text are not available in the Font dialog opened from the Editor button available from menu Options -> Preferences -> Fonts? Are they TrueType fonts or PostScript Type 1 fonts? If not they cannot be loaded by the Java virtual machine so they will not be available in the Font dialog in Oxygen. You have to install a TrueType font or a PostScript Type 1 one that is also capable to display Japanese text in KDE or in the lib/fonts directory of the JRE that runs Oxygen (by default on Linux this JRE is located in the directory [Oxygen-install-dir]/jre).

Regards,
Sorin
stefanhinz

Post by stefanhinz »

Yes, all my KDE fonts are TrueType fonts. I've looked at the Oxygen 10.2 installation directory, but I don't think there are any fonts in the jre/ subdirectory. Rather than that, there are 2 files that seem to relate to fonts and SuSE Linux:

artemis/opt/Oxygen XML Editor 10/jre/lib # l *SuSE*
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 1678 10. Nov 2008 fontconfig.SuSE.bfc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 1972 10. Nov 2008 fontconfig.SuSE.properties.src

The .bfc file is binary, and the .src file contains this:

Code: Select all

# @(#)linux.fontconfig.SuSE.properties	1.2 03/10/17
#
# Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
#
# Version
version=1
# Component Font Mappings
serif.plain.latin-1=-b&h-lucidabright-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
serif.bold.latin-1=-b&h-lucidabright-demibold-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
serif.italic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidabright-medium-i-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
serif.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidabright-demibold-i-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
sansserif.plain.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
sansserif.bold.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
sansserif.italic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
sansserif.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
monospaced.plain.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
monospaced.bold.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
monospaced.italic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
monospaced.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
dialog.plain.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
dialog.bold.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
dialog.italic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
dialog.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidasans-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
dialoginput.plain.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
dialoginput.bold.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
dialoginput.italic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
dialoginput.bolditalic.latin-1=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-i-normal-sans-*-%d-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
# Search Sequences
sequence.allfonts=latin-1
# Exclusion Ranges
# Font File Names
So what I did was a) install the Lucida fonts (TrueType fonts), then selected Lucida Sans Unicode as the default editor font in Oxygen. Still no luck, though; Japanese characters still show up as squares.

Any clues what I'm missing?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Lucida Sans Unicode does not have Japanese characters. You have to select a font that has Japanese characters in the Font dialog opened from Preferences -> Fonts. Such a font is Arial Unicode MS.

The font does not have to be in the [Oxygen-dir]/jre directory, if it is installed on your system and it is a TrueType font or a PostScript Type 1 one the Java virtual machine will load it.

Regards,
Sorin
stefanhinz

Post by stefanhinz »

Thanks for clarifying!
Arial Unicode MS can be purchased for $99; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial_Unicode.
There's a free alternative on Linux, though: Sazanami Mincho (or Gothic). From what I can tell, it supports Japanese characters fine. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks again for helping me sort this out!