Test a beta version with the new features that I requested

Oxygen general issues.
csalsa

Test a beta version with the new features that I requested

Post by csalsa »

This question is about Oxygen 10.3 dev.

Is it possible to get hold of the 10.3 alpha/beta so see how it behaves? I have raised some issues and I would like to see how they have been addressed before the release.

I assume that 10.3 dev could be installed side-by-side with 10.2?
sorin_ristache

Re: Test a beta version with the new features that I requested

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I just sent a download URL for an alpha version of the next Oxygen version to your email address.

Regards,
Sorin
csalsa

Post by csalsa »

Hi Sorin

Thanks for the post. However, I did not receive the email. I checked the spam folders but it was not there. I doubled checked the spam settings and email from this forum will not be marked as spam. In addition I sent myself a test email from the forum - which I received.

Could you please re-send the link.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

I did not receive any bounce error for the email message that I sent you. I just sent again the message a minute ago to the same email address where you receive forum notifications. If you do not receive it please check your spam filter or specify other email address where we should send you the message.

Regards,
Sorin
csalsa

Post by csalsa »

Hi Sorin

I got the second, re-sent email. Thanks.

Is there a change log of the changes for this build? Or does this build only have the two changes stated in your email?

Where would you like me to put the feedback? In future, would you like me to post it here or email you? You could start a new forum for upcoming builds.
csalsa

Post by csalsa »

Regarding the change for read-only files. I can open a read-only file and format it. Great.

However, I cannot validate it if I have the setting 'Save all files before transformation or validation'. I can clear this option.

But is it possible include an ability to clear the read-only attribute on the file from within OxygenXML? For example, from the right-click context menu of the file tab? And place in this menu, say, under 'Add All to Project', a new entry 'Make file writable'. This will have great benefit.

Another possible place for 'Make file writable', is as a button on the dialoag that pops up when you try to save the read-only file (after formatting). The dialog that says 'Cannot save the file'.

Think about the steps that you need to do from here to make the file writable before you can continue to save the file. For my team, this is a likely scenario.

Thanks for the early access for review.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

csalsa wrote:Is there a change log of the changes for this build? Or does this build only have the two changes stated in your email?
There are more than the two changes but there is no cange log. It is just an alpha build for tests.
csalsa wrote:Where would you like me to put the feedback? In future, would you like me to post it here or email you? You could start a new forum for upcoming builds.
Any feedback method is fine. Posting here will enable other users to see it too.

Thank you,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

csalsa wrote:But is it possible include an ability to clear the read-only attribute on the file from within OxygenXML? For example, from the right-click context menu of the file tab? And place in this menu, say, under 'Add All to Project', a new entry 'Make file writable'. This will have great benefit.

Another possible place for 'Make file writable', is as a button on the dialoag that pops up when you try to save the read-only file (after formatting). The dialog that says 'Cannot save the file'.
I think an editor application usually is not the place for changing the filesystem attributes of a file. A read only attribute is set to prevent changing the file accidentally from an application. I think the user should change the attribute in the filesystem first before editing the file.

Such an operation is not always possible, for example on a Linux machine where the current user is not the owner of the file, is not a part of the owner group and does not have write permission for the file (he has only read permission).

Regards,
Sorin