How do I restrict my licence?

Oxygen general issues.
RogerP

How do I restrict my licence?

Post by RogerP »

I have been using <oXygen/> to support both teaching and research for many years now. Our Departmental Licence provides
2. Installation and use. You may:

a) Use the Software solely in non-commercial departmental teaching and research programs. You are permitted to distribute copies of the Software to faculty members, staff, and students, officers, employees ("Recipients") within the licensed department. Recipients may not keep or use the Software when they finish their courses or leave the department.

b) Install the Software on any computer that is in regular use at the facilities of the Department. All copies of the Software must be removed from each computer that is taken out of regular use at the facilities of the Department.

c) Install the Software on a personal computer used by the Recipient covered by this license at home for instructional preparation only.
To enable them to use <oXygen/> I obviously have to provide them with the licence key (afterall, anyone can download the software). However, whilst I personally endeavour to make sure that the key only goes to legitimate users, I cannot be held reponsible for what they do with the key.

I have in the past gone to the trouble of getting users to sign for the key. The signature acknowledges and agrees to comply with your licence agreement and adds a further, more restrictive, set of words in line with our own "Acceptable Use Policy". However, as well as being extremely time-consuming, it's very hit-and-miss and the students who readily sign are not the ones I'm concerned about. I am prepared to keep doing this although I do not feel obligated by the Agreement to do so. (Perhaps I missed something?)

I would actually prefer it if the key expired at the end of the year such that the software was unusable beyond this point. At least that way I would know that if the key did get into the public domain it would expire after a reasonably short time.

The best solution for me as a holder of a Departmental licence would be two keys. One, as now, tied to a particular version and a second, for me to release to students, that is both tied to the current version AND strictly time-limited.

Have you any advice?
bogdan

Re: How do I restrict my licence?

Post by bogdan »

Hi Roger,

Starting with version 10, for all group licenses we supply two keys: a permanent one that should be installed on the school's computers and a one-year temporary license that can be distributed to students for their home assignments.
Please contact our support team by email to receive a solution to this issue.

Regards,
Bogdan
RogerP

Re: How do I restrict my licence?

Post by RogerP »

Many thanks -- sorry for the misunderstanding -- my fault.

I've replied to Adrian's email.