Odd Behaviour with Samba Shares

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
adsmart

Odd Behaviour with Samba Shares

Post by adsmart »

I've just moved from working on a PC to my shiny new PowerBook. To access department resources, I need to mount a number of servers using samba.

Today I encountered a strange problem. It seems that if there is a space in the name of one of the folders, Oxygen can't correctly find the file, even when using the OSX Finder.

It basically says that the file "huge/path" cannot be found. In this case its something like: /Volumes/technology services/.../Foo.xml

I'm pretty sure it is just happening with Samba since I created a directory on my desktop called "untitled folder" and put an xml file in there, it opened up happily. I'm also reasonably sure that is a "space in the name thing" because this volume also goes by the name of "tech" and opening the same file from that directory worked fine.

I think the problem is that something is expecting a %20 or \[space] instead of the plain space.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was also a problem on other *NIX platforms.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I have tried to share a directory having a long name with spaces on my windows box and then to connect to it from my Mac (Mac OS X 10.3.3 Panther) but Finder failed to mount the share.
After this I have modified the name of the share to be shorter, containing only one space, and both mounting in Finder and editing in Oxygen worked perfectly.
My opinion is that very long names in shares create problems to the samba implementation from Mac OS X. (and possibly other Unixes as you mentioned.) Unfortunately, I cannot see any workaround other from changing the share name.