UI lookup for pulldown values?

Oxygen general issues.
devodl

UI lookup for pulldown values?

Post by devodl »

I am exploring the use of Oxygen and need to know if it can meet one of our requirements. I have now come to a point in my configuration/development where I could benefit from the knowledge and experience of others.

For our application we need to define 5 fields in the UI that represent a categorization of a document into a taxonomy. For example if we were categorizing the document using a food taxonomy:
Category 1: Fruit -One of several choices under Food (Fruit, Vegetable, Grain, Poultry, Meat, etc.)
Category 2: Apple -One of several choices under Fruit (Apple, Peach, Pear, etc.)
Category 3: Empire -One of several choices under Fruit/Apple

As a User makes a selection for a category (moving from 1 to 5 levels of categories) the list of selections in the next category down is constrained by the selection made in the previous categories.
Our taxonomy used for categorization is stored in a database but we can easily transform it to XML if necessary. Because the taxonomy of the categories is not well defined in our XML schema we have implemented this categorization with other XML editors through the UI (e.g. JavaScript).

What is the recommended approach for implementing a set of pulldowns in the Oxygen form UI so that User's can categorize the document using our taxonomy?

Can the UI for a form in Oxygen run JavaScript?
Can the Oxygen form be scripted to change based on selections made by a User?

Any suggestions for what feature of Oxygen to examine or reading would be appreciated.
george
Site Admin

Re: UI lookup for pulldown values?

Post by george »

Hi,

oXygen allows plugging in custom actions, both in the text mode in the form of plugins and in the Author mode in the form of Author actions. See our developer resources page
http://www.oxygenxml.com/developer.html
There you have the also the source code for all the plugins and Author actions that oXygen comes built in with.
You need to know Java in order to develop plugins or Author actions.

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina