How Does One Print a Portion of a Schema?

Oxygen general issues.
pcstockman

How Does One Print a Portion of a Schema?

Post by pcstockman »

I realize this is a very basic question but cannot find a way to do this on the menus. I wish to print an element or a type in design view. Not the whole schema, which is huge, but just a selected portion. Would also like to print to .pdf format.
Costin

Re: How Does One Print a Portion of a Schema?

Post by Costin »

Unfortunately, it is not possible to print a part of a schema.

However, it is possible in oXygen to save an image of a specific node with any of its adjacent descendants descendants expanded or not. Then you should be able to print the resulted image by any means, separately from oXygen.
To do that while in Design mode, you should Right Click on the node you want to print and select "Save as Image..." from the context menu. In the next dialog window, under the "Save as type" drop-down list you should choose the type you need the resulting image to be (svg, bmp, jpg, png). If your need is to include your resulting image into a pdf file, maybe you would want the image saved as svg (Scalable Vector Graphics), because SVGs are scalable, zoomable and they can be printed at any resolution without quality loss.

Please note that only the expanded elements from the right of the node you selected will appear in the printable image. All of the elements appearing in the final image will keep the same expansion state they were in the design mode at the time you saved the image, so before you save the desired node from the scheme, you should expand all the needed descendants you want to be displayed in your final print.

Regards,
Costin.
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
pcstockman

Post by pcstockman »

Costin: This is very helpful and directly addresses my need. The "portion of a schema" I wish to print is a specific node and its descendants. Saving to an image is ideal. Thanks. Peter
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

You can actually print part of a schema directly from Oxygen. If you double click on an element(or a type) in the Outline view or if you right click on one in the diagram and choose Show definition from the popup menu, you will obtain a partial diagram that shows only the respective element. If you print in this context, only the visible content will be printed, so this way you can print only the desired element.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com