Working with xinclude in Author

Oxygen general issues.
xsaero00

Working with xinclude in Author

Post by xsaero00 »

Oxygen has good support for xincludes, but I could not find any way to add xincludes using author view. I can create my own operation in Java but it seems like a general functionality that can be used with any framework. I imagine an operation like this would work as follows.

It opens a dialog similar to "Choose Image". The user uses the "browse" button to find the file. Once file is located the code scans the file for ids and shows the ids in list/tree structure to the user. The user can then select one or more IDs or the whole document to get included. The operation would still support the standard attributes like location, position and schema awareness.
Radu

Re: Working with xinclude in Author

Post by Radu »

Hi Mike,

Right you are, we've had requests in the past for this so it will probably get implemented in a future version. I added your suggestion to the open issue.

We also had requests for automatically inserting xi:includes when dropping external files in the Author page for Docbook (right now an <ulink/> is inserted). Would you also consider this a good feature to have? Or do you think that the current behavior is better?

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
xsaero00

Post by xsaero00 »

Radu wrote: We also had requests for automatically inserting xi:includes when dropping external files in the Author page for Docbook (right now an <ulink/> is inserted). Would you also consider this a good feature to have? Or do you think that the current behavior is better?
Automatic xi:includes on drop sounds nice, and will definitely be useful for our editors. However, I need functionality that lets me chose a chunk of the document, not the whole thing.

I don't really see the automatic linking as being much useful. I don't see us using that at all. Assembling documents from multiple documents using xi:includes is much more useful to us.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the opinion, we contributed your comments to the open issue.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Mike,

Oxygen 13 which will be released shortly will contain a special action for adding an XInclude.
For Docbook the action will also be available on the Author toolbar.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
xsaero00

Post by xsaero00 »

Great. I already wrote an action to add xincludes but I am sure it is not as comprehensive as the built in one.