Preserve folder structure with Batch Documents Converter

Oxygen general issues.
dybdahl

Preserve folder structure with Batch Documents Converter

Post by dybdahl »

I am migrating some markdown content to DITA. The source files are exist within a folder hierarchy, which is obviously important for cross-references, etc.

When invoking the Batch Documents Converter, I am allowed to designate a single "out" folder, into which all transformed documents are placed. However, the folder structure present in the source is lost. This is also problematic because the source markdown content has many duplicate file names that will no longer be unique within a flattened hierarchy.

I do not see a way to retain the source folder structure in my transformed output. Would I be better off creating a DITA map that references all of the markdown content and publish that through DITA-OT instead?
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Re: Preserve folder structure with Batch Documents Converter

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi,
Unfortunately, the add-on doesn't take into account the folder hierarchy of the input files. I registered an internal issue to improve it and keep the child folder hierarchy in the output directory when an input directory is chosen in the conversion dialogue.
I do not see a way to retain the source folder structure in my transformed output
Maybe you can apply multiple conversions for each directory that contains markdown files and set this first parent directory as an output folder.
Would I be better off creating a DITA map that references all of the markdown content and publish that through DITA-OT instead?
Yes, it may be a solution, but in this case, you will not migrate these files to DITA, and they will dynamically convert when you publish this DITA map.

Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com