Two license questions

Oxygen general issues.
Brausepaul

Two license questions

Post by Brausepaul »

Hi,

I'm in need of an answer about a licensing issues. Currently I don't own a Oxygen license but I'm thinking of getting one after having tried this great program. Currently I'm a high school student and I'll most probaby graduate in August / September this year. Technically I qualify for an Academic/Home edition license.

1) Now the first problem: my curriculum requires me to have an internship during the last semester and that's what I'm doing right now, e. g. I signed a contract as an intern and work for a company. The research I'm doing will be the basis for my graduation thesis.

So, if I had an Academic/Home Edition license, installed in on my (personal) laptop and took it with me to work for my research, would I violate the license?

2) Somehow related: if I owned a license, is it okay to install Oxygen on my desktop PC at home in addition to my laptop installation?

Thanks in advance
george
Site Admin

Re: Two license questions

Post by george »

Brausepaul wrote: 1) Now the first problem: my curriculum requires me to have an internship during the last semester and that's what I'm doing right now, e. g. I signed a contract as an intern and work for a company. The research I'm doing will be the basis for my graduation thesis.

So, if I had an Academic/Home Edition license, installed in on my (personal) laptop and took it with me to work for my research, would I violate the license?
This is a difficult question :). The idea is if you are payed for the work you do with oXygen or if you sell what you do with oXygen then you need a professional license. Otherwise the academic license is ok.
Brausepaul wrote: 2) Somehow related: if I owned a license, is it okay to install Oxygen on my desktop PC at home in addition to my laptop installation?
Yes. The license is user based so you can use it on both machines. The license also covers all the distributions (standalone and Eclipse plugin) on any platform.

Best Regards,
George
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Hi george,

thank you for your answer, at least question two is fully answered. To give more info about the first issue: the software I develop (or to be more precise: the software my research is focused on) is not to be sold, it's for the company's inhouse usage. I'm afraid the fact that there is no real "sale" of the developed software is irrelevant here.

My payment is marginal by the way, it covers my expenses to get to work more or less (since it's an internship, not a real job). Could you give my any advice on who to contact to get a definitive answer?
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

If your research (what you do with oXygen) is freely available to anyone then the academic license is ok. Otherwise you need the professional license.

Best Regards,
George
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

My final thesis will definately be freely available.