docx to epub

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
ramjill

docx to epub

Post by ramjill »

hi,

how to convert docx to epub in oxygen?
sorin_ristache

Re: docx to epub

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

There is no direct built-in transformation defined in Oxygen for transforming a DOCX document to EPUB but you could do that in two steps:
  • Transform the DOCX document to a TEI P5 one using the built-in DOCX TEI P5 transformation.
  • Transform the TEI P5 one to EPUB using the built-in TEI P5 EPUB transformation.
Other option is to open the DOCX document in the MS Word application and copy and paste from MS Word to a new DocBook XML document edited in Author mode in Oxygen. The paste operation in Author mode converts automatically the content received from MS Word to the DocBook markup so that a list or a table or a bold fragment of text from Word will be rendered as a DocBook list or DocBook table or bold text. The size of the copied fragment is not important, so you can just copy and paste the whole DOCX content from MS Word to Oxygen Author mode in one operation. After that just run the built-in DocBook EPUB transformation in Oxygen.

Regards,
Sorin
Cole

Post by Cole »

I create my books chapter by chapter in Office 2007 Word. Is there any program out there that will allow me to convert each chapter to ePub and then combine them into one file bookmarking each chapter like PDF files do?

I was originally converting each .docx file to PDF and then combining them in Acrobat but my Pandigital won't read those files correctly. I'm looking for a way to do the same thing only converting into ePub format.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi Cole,

You could copy the entire content of each chapter from the DOCX document opened in MS Word and paste it in a DocBook XML document opened in Author mode of Oxygen as I described in my above post. After that you could group all chapters in a book type of Docbook XML document which you can create by going to menu File -> New -> DocBook 5 -> Book with XInclude. The DocBook book document will include each DocBook chapter document with an xi:include element. You can see an example in the default samples project of Oxygen, the file docbook/v5/sampleXInclude. You generate the ePub book with the built-in transformation DocBook EPUB which is available for all DocBook documents.

Regards,
Sorin
Hathi

Post by Hathi »

Hi Sorin,
sorin wrote:... You generate the ePub book with the built-in transformation DocBook EPUB which is available for all DocBook documents.
Regards,
Sorin
Can you please indicate for which version of Oxygen this built-in DocBook EPUB transformation scenario is available: I can't find it in Author 12.1.

Thanks and regards,
Hathi
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

This transformation scenario has been introduced starting with version 12.2.
You can find and download version 12.2 from our software archive:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/software_archive.html

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com