Context Sensitive Relax NG editing

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
Metin

Context Sensitive Relax NG editing

Post by Metin »

It would be nice when a Relax NG schema is used for an XML document, that the editing would be context sensitive.

Currently all the xml elements are shown without regarding the context in which the document is at a certain point.

Example:

Relax NG Compact schema:

start = myRoot

myRoot = element MyRoot
{
myElem
}

myElem = element MyElem
{
mySubElem
}

mySubElem = element MySubElem
{
empty
}

XML Document using this schema

<MyRoot>
<!-- I should now only see MyElem, but it shows MyRoot and MySubElem as well -->
</MyRoot>
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Context sensitive content completion support for Relax NG driven editing is on our todo list and is planned for the next release.

Best Regards,
George
Metin

Post by Metin »

I am looking forward to it! Any indication when the next release will be?
peshkov

Context-sensitivity for RelaxNG-driven document creation

Post by peshkov »

As far as I can see there are no context-sensitivity support for RelaxNG-driven document creation yet. Could you please provide some estimates regarding this matter? I believe this feature is really usefull.

By the way, I would like to thank you for the good product :-)
Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

We discussed this with Mr. James Clark and he plans to add some support for this in Jing. We had also some parallel development plans but we decided that is better to wait for this to be in Jing than to implement the same thing and then drop it. If a new Jing version with support for determining the allowed elements and attributes in a given context will not be available soon we will consider going back to our initial plans to implement it ourselves.

Best Regards,
George
dtolpin

Post by dtolpin »

[quote="george"]If a new Jing version with support for determining the allowed elements and attributes in a given context will not be available soon we will consider going back to our initial plans to implement it ourselves.
[/quote]

This should be a fairly simple one day hack for Jing to get the list of allowed
elements and attributes; all data structures are there, one just have to traverse
the current pattern and get the names out.

That is, please go ahead; the users are waiting it.
peshkov

Post by peshkov »

george
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, there was not much activity in jing development lately so I think moving ahead with your own development may be feasible. :)
Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov