Profiling enable documentation

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
ggorman

Profiling enable documentation

Post by ggorman »

When I wanted to use profiling earlier, I couldn' t discover how to make it work for a long time. I find now that I was missing this statement buried in the "Profiling XSLT stylesheets" section of the Help.

Enabling/disabling the profiler is controlled by the Profiler button from the debugger control toolbar. The XSLT profiler is off by default. This option is not available during a debugger session so you should set it before starting the transformation.

Exactly what I was looking for; but I hadn't looked past the "Viewing profiling information" section thinking information later would be more advanced features maybe.

I'd like to suggest that the referenced paragraph be found in the "Overview" section instead. Or maybe the entire "Working with..." section should be at the same level and before "Viewing profiling information". I think the latter is the more advanced description of getting details from the profiler and the "Working with..." is the basic information.

I wonder, also, if the function of the "Profiler button" as it's called in the above help text; or "Turn on profiling" as it's called in the flyover text should be also be available in the Options->Preferences->Profiler Options screen. I was there last week and it seemed to indicate everything was turned on for profiling. The state of the "Profiler button" function here would help know that it's not.

By the way, I understand why it shouldn't be on as a default -- and I don't mean this suggestion as negative input. Oxygen is a great tool and you guys have been great at responding to suggestions.

GeorgeG
sorin_ristache

Re: Profiling enable documentation

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
ggorman wrote:I'd like to suggest that the referenced paragraph be found in the "Overview" section instead.
We moved the paragraph. Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,
Sorin
ggorman

Post by ggorman »

Thanks Sorin -

Have you also talked about my suggestion to include the state of the Profiler button on the Options->Preferences->Profiler Options screen? That part of my suggestion was sort of buried in my ramblings. It's very handy for the Profiler button to be on the debugger screen for quick accessability; but can there be an active button that does the same thing there on that Preferences screen as well?

GeorgeG
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

We do not think the enable/disable action should be present in the Profiler preferences because it is applied to all transforms by default. The user should enable it only when he needs it in the debugger perspective.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Is it helpful if we add a new preference Profiling enabled by default to the set of the Profiler preferences ? It will enable the user to set the initial state of the profiler globally, for all debugged transformations, and grouped together with the other profiler settings. Adding the turn on/off button present on the Debugger toolbar also to the Profiler preferences panel would allow dynamic modification of the transformation parameters, something which none of the other preferences does.

Regards,
Sorin