Show Source of Selected Element Only

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
renaud waldura

Show Source of Selected Element Only

Post by renaud waldura »

Using Eclipse 3.1.1, Oxygen 6.2.

Eclipse JDT has this neat feature "show source of selected element only" (it's in the top icon bar). It lets me bounce around a Java source file without being bothered by all the extra stuff that can be there -- while the Outline view still shows all methods, the editor only shows the currently selected method.

I like this feature a lot as it allows me to focus on just the stuff that I'm currently working on. Coupled with Ctrl-O in the editor (pops up the method list), it's an unvaluable aid to navigate Java source files.

I'd like to see Oxygen implement this too. Currently selecting a node in the Outline view only highlights that section in the XML editor, that's not enough.

Thank you for listening to this feature request,

--Renaud
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Thank you for the request. We noted it and we will think about adding the feature. Do other users think also that highlighting in the editor panel the element selected in the Outline view is not enough and the surrounding elements break your focus from that element ?

Thank you,
Sorin
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Dear Renaud,

Oxygen provides folding support and also powerful actions to manipulate the folds. One of these actions is "Close other folds" that was created exactly for allowing a rapid focus on the current content. Please try that and let us know how you find it.

Best Regards,
George
renaud waldura

Post by renaud waldura »

"Close other folds" is indeed very close that what I want, and I'll use it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Something else I've thought about: how about having Ctrl-O pop a list of top-level nodes, like the Java editor does. Also Ctrl-1 to fix mismatched tags etc.

Basically I find the Eclipse navigation model around structured documents to be very intuitive and powerful and I'd love to use it wherever possible.

Oh, and I believe I've found a bug: the drop-down menu in my Outline view doesn't appear (see my config above). I click and nothing comes up.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
renaud waldura wrote:having Ctrl-O pop a list of top-level nodes, like the Java editor does.
Basically in Eclipse it is just a popup with the same content as the Outline view. It allows you to navigate the current document using only the keyboard. We noted the request as an enhancement for a future version.
renaud waldura wrote:the drop-down menu in my Outline view doesn't appear (see my config above). I click and nothing comes up.
Do you mean that you right-click on an element in the Outline view and the popup does not come up ? Is the document opened with one of the Eclipse editors contributed by <oXygen/> (Oxygen XML Editor, Oxygen XSL Editor, etc) ? Does the Error Log view of Eclipse show any errors ?

Regards,
Sorin
renaud waldura

Post by renaud waldura »

No, I'm talking about the drop-down menu in the title bar of the view; the icon is a downward pointing triangle.

Maybe I can attach a screenshot, let me see.
[img]http://renaud.waldura.org/misc/oxy01.png[/img]

Another bug: the Oxygen Outline view doesn't seem to respect the font set in the Workspace. As you can see in my screenshot (at the very top), all other views use a smaller font.

Also, I'm unable to run a transformation scenario when one of the resources is located in a linked folder.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
renaud waldura wrote:I'm talking about the drop-down menu in the title bar of the view; the icon is a downward pointing triangle.
The triangle icon should be disabled because there is no drop-down menu for the Oxygen editor outline. The filters and link with editor modes that normally appear on the drop-down menu are set from the other toolbar icons in the Oxygen Outline view. The filters are the first two icons: Attributes and Text, and the link modes are the next three icons. The next version will disable the triangle icon.
renaud waldura wrote:Another bug: the Oxygen Outline view doesn't seem to respect the font set in the Workspace. As you can see in my screenshot (at the very top), all other views use a smaller font.
The Oxygen editor Outline uses only the font family set in Preferences - oXygen - Editor, always with a fixed size of 9 and normal style.
renaud waldura wrote:Also, I'm unable to run a transformation scenario when one of the resources is located in a linked folder.
Please specify the parameters of your transformation scenario so the error can be reproduced and what is the error message / stack trace. Is the error displayed in an error dialog or the Error Log of Eclipse ? Small samples of the XML and XSL documents would be also useful.

Best regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
renaud waldura wrote:I've found a bug: the drop-down menu in my Outline view doesn't appear (see my config above). I click and nothing comes up.
The next version will add the toolbar actions of the Outline view also to the drop-down menu.

Regards,
Sorin
renaud waldura

Post by renaud waldura »

Thank you Serin for your responses. I'll try to reproduce my problem with a transformation in a linked folder.

Another glitch: editing a DTD, I can convert to another format. Cool feature! But the new file is not immediately visible in the Eclipse navigator view -- I have to request a refresh on that folder. Looks like the file creation bypasses Eclipse entirely.

I hope all this complaining doesn't hide the fact I'm using your product daily and that I'm very satisfied with it! I just want to make it better.
renaud waldura

Post by renaud waldura »

I was complaining about minor things until now, but I think for the first time I've stumbled onto something that doesn't quite work as expected.

I have an XML document open, and I click "Learn structure" then "Save structure". A modal dialog appears where I can select a path and a name for my DTD. After selecting a directory and typing a filename in the input box, I click the "Save" button and... nothing. I must leave the dialog with Cancel.

It sometimes feels like the Eclipse plugin might not be as QAed as the actual application. Should I be using the standalone app instead?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
renaud waldura wrote:editing a DTD, I can convert to another format. Cool feature! But the new file is not immediately visible in the Eclipse navigator view -- I have to request a refresh on that folder.
renaud waldura wrote:I have an XML document open, and I click "Learn structure" then "Save structure". A modal dialog appears where I can select a path and a name for my DTD. After selecting a directory and typing a filename in the input box, I click the "Save" button and... nothing. I must leave the dialog with Cancel.
You have an old version of the <oXygen/> plugin. Install the latest version. If you have a 6.x version already installed the same license key is valid.

Regards,
Sorin
renaud waldura

Post by renaud waldura »

I used the update facility in Eclipse and everything went really well. I can now save the structure. Thanks!