Incorrect footnote spacing

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
Vinny

Incorrect footnote spacing

Post by Vinny »

Hi Folks,
I have this tiny problem that for whatever reason the space between the footnote number and the footnote text seems to vary, despite all my tinkering with the CSS file… The screenshot attached will probably explain it much more clearly. The red box corresponds to the limits of the

Code: Select all

.fn::footnote-marker
area. If anyone knows how to fix it, they would make my day :)
Thanks,
Vincent
Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 10.52.13.png
Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 10.52.13.png (19.46 KiB) Viewed 585 times
chrispitude

Re: Incorrect footnote spacing

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Vinny,

Is this in HTML, WebHelp, or PDF output?

For any of those three, I would start by opening the relevant HTML file, then using your favorite browser to inspect the elements and their CSS rules. See if there are embedded spaces or differences in margin/padding value between these entries.
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Thanks for your answer. It’s a PDF file.
I've looked into all the generated files, from the XML to the final FO, and found nothing really striking. It all seems normal.
I forgot to mention that the first three notes correspond to <fn>…</fn> fields into a table's <entry> field. The last one is a <xref type="fn" href="…/X"/> with a <fn id="X">…</fn> field outside the table (because I need the same footnote reused several times).
Matter of fact, when I transform all <fn>…</fn> into <xref type="fn" …./> tags, it works. The proper alignment is restored. So this has definitely to do with: 1. The type of footnote; 2. Whether the footnote is in a table or not.

Merry Xmas!
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Vinny,

When you open the temporary merged HTML file in a browser, do you see the misaligned spacing there?

If so, can you use the browser's CSS/element inspector to see if the problem is due to CSS margin/padding values, or due to embedded spaces in one of the elements?